benfica vs real madrid: Mourinho criticised after Vinicius alleges racist abuse
The Champions League knockout tie between Benfica and Real Madrid was halted for around 10 minutes on Tuesday after Real Madrid forward Vinicius Junior told the referee he had been racially abused. The incident has triggered an official investigation, strong statements from player groups and federations, and sharp backlash over Benfica manager Jose Mourinho's public reaction.
Match stoppage, immediate reactions and club statements
The game was suspended shortly after Vinicius celebrated a first-half goal and then reported an alleged slur by Benfica winger Gianluca Prestianni to the match official. The referee invoked the anti-racism protocol and paused play while tensions on the pitch were defused. Real Madrid players briefly threatened to leave the field before the contest resumed.
Prestianni has denied using racist language in a social media statement after the match. Benfica initially released a brief 21-word message late that night at 9: 11 PM ET that did not address the substance of the allegation, and later issued a longer communication claiming the player had become the target of a "defamation campaign. " Real Madrid and the Brazilian Football Confederation publicly backed Vinicius, with the Brazilian body calling him brave for activating the protocol.
Vinicius wrote that "racists are above all, cowards, " adding that such behaviour is sadly familiar to him. Team-mate remarks after the game suggested several players heard what was said during the confrontation beside the corner flag.
Mourinho's comments draw criticism
Benfica's manager was criticised for remarks that many viewed as minimising the allegation. He referenced the club's historic figures in defence of Benfica and questioned aspects of the celebration that preceded the incident, suggesting the celebration may have provoked the reaction. He also said he wanted to remain independent and would not comment in detail on the exchange between players.
Those comments were described by former players and pundits as tone-deaf and were labelled by some as an example of "gaslighting, " given the seriousness of a racism allegation on the pitch. Former referees and anti-racism campaigners also weighed in; one ex-official drew criticism for saying the situation made life "difficult" for the referee. An anti-discrimination organisation criticised Benfica's handling of the fallout and called for clarity and decisive action.
UEFA investigation and what comes next
European governing bodies have opened an ethics and disciplinary inquiry. An inspector has been appointed to examine the allegation of discriminatory behaviour, and regulations stipulate a minimum 10-match suspension for anyone found guilty of racist conduct. That potential sanction underlines the seriousness with which such cases are treated, but investigators warn the process is likely to take weeks rather than days.
With the second leg of the knockout tie scheduled for February 25, the accused player could still be available for selection until any disciplinary measures are imposed. UEFA's probe will consider match footage, testimony from players and officials, and other available evidence before any decision is reached.
The episode has reignited debate about how clubs, managers and governing bodies respond to on-field racism. Critics say stronger, clearer immediate responses are needed to protect players and to prevent the normalisation of discriminatory behaviour. Supporters of a thorough investigation stress the importance of a fair process that examines all available facts before reaching conclusions.
The match itself ended with Real Madrid winning 1-0, but the result was overshadowed by the escalating dispute off the ball and in the aftermath. The coming weeks will determine whether the incident prompts sanctions, policy change, or renewed calls for a firmer stance from clubs and competition organisers against racism in the sport.