Jason Lewis posted a short beach video on Instagram on May 21, ending more than three years out of the public eye and telling followers, "I went quiet."
In the clip and its caption — which read, "After three years, it was time" — the 54-year-old actor explained why he vanished from view: "Not because I have nothing to say, but because I had something to do." He called that something "the kind of creative work that doesn't leave room for much else" and added, "I'm still in it. But I'm far enough along now that it felt like it was time to resurface and share what I've been doing."
The return is notable for its length and timing. Lewis has not been publicly visible in the way he was earlier in his career: his last credited acting role was the NBC supernatural series Midnight, Texas in 2018, and he was last seen on TV as a contestant on Dancing with the Stars in late 2022.
On Season 31 of Dancing with the Stars, Lewis and partner Peta Murgatroyd were the first couple eliminated. He said he almost never joined the show until his fianceé, actress Liz Godwin, persuaded him: "This year, when the offer came in, my fianceé asked me to be a little less pigheaded and at least take a look at a show." He praised the production and the cast: "It is incredibly beautifully done. The dancers are so talented," and called his experience, "This is an incredible group of people" for which he said, "I've been very grateful to be a part of this."
Context for the comeback runs through Lewis's earlier work and his relationship to one of television's most watched franchises. He played Smith Jerrod on Sex and the City from 2003 to 2004 and appeared in the 2008 film and its 2010 sequel. He was not included when the franchise returned in the revival And Just Like That, and he has said of that situation, "I would be the last to know!" followed by, "As much as I appreciate the flattery, the conversation is about the girls." He also told followers recently, "I made my peace with that. It's the kind of work that needs to find its people, though."
The tension in Lewis's short statement is twofold. He emphasizes a deliberate, private period of concentrated creative work, yet he also chose to step back into a format built for immediacy and publicity: a public Instagram post and a candid acknowledgment of Dancing with the Stars. That choice exposes a gap between the solitary, process-driven work he described and the promotional, people-facing reality of resurfacing.
His language is precise about intent. Lewis did not promise a new acting role or a return to any particular franchise; he framed the hiatus as a phase of creation that has reached a point where sharing makes sense. "Not because I have nothing to say, but because I had something to do," he said, and later, "I made my peace with that. It's the kind of work that needs to find its people, though."
For audiences wondering whether this is a full-scale comeback to screens and series, the clearest answer he gave was both affirmative and limited: he is active again and prepared to share his projects — "I'm still in it" — but he has also accepted that some doors, like the Sex and the City revival, were not open to him. Expect Lewis to reappear on social and in announcements tied to whatever creative work he has been pursuing, not necessarily in the long-running franchises he once inhabited.



