shia labeouf arrested in New Orleans during Mardi Gras bar brawl

shia labeouf arrested in New Orleans during Mardi Gras bar brawl

Actor Shia LaBeouf was arrested early Tuesday and charged with two counts of simple battery after police say he assaulted two men during a night of Mardi Gras celebrations in New Orleans. The arrest capped several days of reported unruly behavior around the city’s parade routes and bars.

Arrest, alleged assaults and hospital visit

New Orleans police were called at approximately 1: 45 a. m. ET on Tuesday to a disturbance in the Faubourg Marigny neighborhood, adjacent to the French Quarter, where officers say LaBeouf had become increasingly aggressive inside a local bar. Court documents state that staff attempted to escort him out; during the removal he allegedly tried to strike the bar manager, then punched a patron who had assisted staff. He is also accused of returning and striking a second man in the nose.

Bystanders restrained LaBeouf until officers arrived. He was taken to a hospital for treatment of unspecified injuries, then discharged and arrested. He was subsequently charged with two counts of simple battery and released on his own recognizance later the same day. His next court appearance is tentatively scheduled for March 19.

Witnesses at the scene described a chaotic scene as thousands of costumed revelers gathered along parade routes. Staff at the establishment named in the documents said LaBeouf would not be welcome back following the incident.

Mardi Gras bar crawl, online footage and past struggles

The arrest follows several days of encounters at New Orleans bars, where multiple staff and patrons described the actor as belligerent at times. Accounts from employees at several venues said he showed up shirtless at one bar and attempted to serve drinks at another. One doorman recalled the actor adopting a confrontational posture and at times invoking his fame while interacting with staff and patrons.

A video that circulated online shows LaBeouf shirtless and speaking with another person before being assisted by emergency personnel. Within hours of his release from custody he was seen on Bourbon Street dancing while holding his release paperwork in his mouth.

LaBeouf has previously discussed struggles with sobriety and has credited fellow actors with helping him through difficult periods. He attended court-mandated rehabilitation following a 2017 arrest and later drew on those experiences in a semi-autobiographical film. Separately, he was sued in 2020 by a former partner who accused him of physical and emotional abuse; he denied wrongdoing and the parties reached a settlement in July 2025.

Legal next steps and public reaction

LaBeouf was issued two counts of simple battery and released pending further proceedings. The March court date will determine how the case proceeds. Local bartenders and doormen who interacted with him in the days before the arrest described frustration and concern about the disruption his presence caused during one of the city’s busiest weekends.

Representatives for LaBeouf have not provided a public statement on the incident. The episode adds to a sequence of highly visible, sometimes turbulent episodes in the actor’s recent public life and raises renewed scrutiny of his conduct during a major public festival.