benfica vs real madrid: Mourinho criticised for reaction after Vinicius alleges racial abuse

benfica vs real madrid: Mourinho criticised for reaction after Vinicius alleges racial abuse

Real Madrid's Champions League first-leg at Benfica was interrupted when Vinicius Junior reported alleged racist abuse by Benfica youngster Gianluca Prestianni, prompting a stoppage of roughly 10 minutes. The incident has sparked an immediate and heated response across football, with the Benfica manager coming under fire for his handling of the fallout and UEFA launching an investigation.

Match stoppage and the immediate aftermath

The match was halted early in the second half after Vinicius, who had just scored to put his side 1-0 up, told the referee he had been racially abused during a confrontation with Prestianni. The referee invoked the anti-discrimination protocol and paused play while officials dealt with the complaint. Players and coaches from both sides were involved in tense exchanges on the touchline as the situation unfolded.

Prestianni has denied the allegation and later said the incident was a misunderstanding. Benfica initially posted a brief 21-word message late that night, then followed up with a longer statement defending their player and calling elements of the coverage a "defamation campaign. " That fuller statement emphasised the club's commitment to equality and highlighted a historic club icon as a symbol of that stance. The earlier short post was timestamped at 9: 11 PM ET.

Reaction, criticism and the probe

Vinicius posted on social media that racists are "above all, cowards, " and reiterated that the choice to activate the protocol took courage. The incident has drawn widespread condemnation, and an ethics and disciplinary inspector has been appointed to investigate the allegation. UEFA's rules mean any player found guilty of racist conduct faces a minimum suspension of 10 matches; the investigation is expected to take weeks rather than days, so the accused player could still be available for selection for the second leg on February 25, ET.

Benfica's manager was criticised for comments dismissing aspects of the claim and for suggesting the celebration that preceded the incident played a part. Critics say those remarks risk minimising the seriousness of alleged racism and could be read as shifting blame onto the victim. Former players and pundits publicly criticised the tone of the club's initial reaction and the manager's handling, arguing that leadership should prioritise clarity and a firm stance against discrimination.

Wider implications and next steps

The episode has revived debate about how clubs, match officials and governing bodies respond when allegations of discriminatory conduct arise mid-game. The protocol that halted the match is designed to protect players and ensure incidents are addressed immediately, but questions remain about transparency and how quickly independent investigations can reach conclusions.

With UEFA now involved, the focus will be on evidence gathering — including testimony from players, match officials and available audio and video — and on whether the governing body can reach a decision before the second leg. The debate on how best to confront racism in football is likely to intensify as the investigation proceeds, with calls for clearer communication from clubs and firmer public leadership from managers and officials.

For now, the benfica vs real madrid tie will be remembered not just for the slim scoreline, but for a controversial moment that has sparked a wider conversation about racism in the sport and the responsibilities of those who lead clubs and manage high-profile matches.