Benfica Backs gianluca prestianni as UEFA Opens Probe After Alleged Racism Incident
Benfica has mounted a public defence of youngster gianluca prestianni after Real Madrid winger Vinícius Júnior halted Tuesday’s Champions League tie at the Estádio da Luz when he reported alleged racist abuse. UEFA has opened an investigation into the incident, which paused the match for about 10 minutes and has intensified scrutiny of conduct on and off the pitch.
What happened on the night
The match was stopped after the Brazilian forward signalled to the referee that he had been racially abused following his goal celebration. The stoppage lasted roughly 10 minutes while players and officials followed the competition’s anti-racism protocol. Prestianni has denied making any racist remark and has defended his conduct, while the club released footage of the exchange and a statement backing the player.
Vinícius, who has been subjected to several racist incidents during his career, later posted a brief message condemning racism and underlining its cowardice. The pause in play and the subsequent reactions from both dressing rooms turned what had been a competitive encounter into a broader flashpoint about racial abuse in football.
UEFA probe and potential sanctions
UEFA has opened an inquiry into the allegation. If the disciplinary process finds a player guilty of racist abuse in European competition, the consequences can be severe; the player could face a minimum 10-match suspension in European fixtures alongside other disciplinary measures. The investigation will rely on match footage, referee testimony and any other available evidence to determine what was said, who said it and whether it meets the governing body’s threshold for racist conduct.
Officials will also consider the application of the anti-racism protocol and whether the match official handled the situation in line with prescribed procedures. The outcome will be closely watched, not only for its impact on this fixture but for its wider implications about deterrence and accountability in elite club football.
Club response, manager reaction and wider fallout
Benfica issued a forceful defence of Prestianni, calling the player a victim of what the club described as a defamation campaign and emphasising his record of respectful conduct. The club posted footage it said cast doubt on the assertion that the exchange contained a racist slur, arguing that distance and crowd noise could have affected perceptions of what was said.
The match also generated strong reactions from figures across the game. Benfica’s manager drew criticism for comments questioning the nature of the celebration that preceded the confrontation, while others condemned any suggestion that the incident should be downplayed. A former referee who commented on the match issued an apology for what he called clumsy remarks, acknowledging that his initial reaction had been wrong and emphasizing that nothing justifies racism in sport or society.
Players and observers highlighted the emotional context: a charged Champions League night, intense rivalries and the repeated history of racist abuse directed at high-profile players. The episode has again prompted debate on whether current protocols and punishments are sufficient to prevent and punish racism, and whether clubs, governing bodies and broadcasters must do more to protect players and ensure transparency in investigations.
For now, the disciplinary process will run its course and UEFA will determine whether the allegations meet the standard for sanction. The incident has left a shadow over a fixture that had delivered high drama on the pitch and ensured the club and player narratives from the night will be dissected in the days ahead.