benfica vs real madrid: Mourinho criticised for reaction after Vinicius abuse allegation halts tie
The Champions League first-leg between benfica vs real madrid was paused for around 10 minutes after Real Madrid forward Vinicius Junior reported alleged racist abuse by a Benfica player. The incident has sparked a wave of reaction — from managers and players to governing bodies and anti-racism campaigners — and left the fixture's aftermath dominated by questions about on-field conduct, club statements and the disciplinary process.
What happened on the pitch
The match was stopped shortly after Vinicius celebrated a first-half goal. The forward told the referee he had been racially abused during a confrontation with Benfica winger Gianluca Prestianni, prompting the official to trigger anti-racism protocols and suspend play for roughly 10 minutes. Cameras captured players and staff intervening while tensions rose on the touchline; at one point the referee crossed his arms in front of his face in line with the protocol, and Real Madrid threatened to leave the pitch before the game resumed. Real Madrid went on to win 1-0 in the first leg.
Prestianni has denied using a racist slur, saying the exchange was misinterpreted. He pulled his shirt over his mouth during the confrontation, an action that has been widely commented on in the aftermath. Team-mates and visiting players said they heard what was said, and some squad members from the away side supported Vinicius publicly after the match.
Reaction, criticism and club statements
Benfica initially issued a very short statement in the early hours that dismissed the allegations, later following up with a lengthier message defending their player and calling the episode a "defamation campaign. " The club pointed to its history and iconic figures as evidence of a long-standing commitment to equality. That response has not satisfied many observers, with anti-racism campaigners criticising the tone and timing of the club's messaging.
Jose Mourinho, the Benfica manager, drew particular criticism for comments that some interpreted as downplaying Vinicius's account. In interview remarks he suggested the celebration had provoked a reaction and invoked the club's heritage in defence of his squad. Critics say those lines risk appearing to shift blame onto the alleged victim rather than addressing the allegation itself, and several former players and pundits voiced disappointment at the manager's choice of words.
The Brazilian Football Confederation released a statement of solidarity with Vinicius, praising his decision to activate the protocol and condemning racism as unacceptable. Prominent former players and commentators also weighed in, describing Benfica's immediate responses as inadequate and urging clearer leadership on the issue.
Disciplinary process and next steps
European football's governing body has opened an investigation and appointed an ethics and disciplinary inspector to examine the alleged discriminatory conduct. UEFA regulations stipulate a minimum ban of ten matches for anyone found guilty of racist behaviour, and the probe could take several weeks, meaning the player accused may remain available for selection for the second leg. That return fixture is scheduled for Feb. 25; any sanctions would be applied through the disciplinary process once the investigation concludes.
Outside the formal inquiry, former referees and pundits have also sparked debate. A retired official's comments questioning the handling of the incident drew pushback from those who argued the referee followed protocol correctly. Anti-racism organisations have urged clubs and governing bodies to treat the matter with urgency and clarity to ensure the game's rules and values are upheld.
As the European competition moves on, the benfica vs real madrid tie will be remembered as much for the off-field controversy as for the narrow scoreline. The outcome of the investigation will be closely watched for its implications on discipline, club responsibilities and the wider fight against discrimination in football.