benfica vs real madrid: Vinicius Jr condemns 'cowards' after alleged racial slur halts Lisbon tie

benfica vs real madrid: Vinicius Jr condemns 'cowards' after alleged racial slur halts Lisbon tie

Real Madrid winger Vinicius Junior accused a Benfica player of racial abuse during a Champions League first-leg win in Lisbon, prompting a stoppage of play and a public exchange of denials and condemnation. Both clubs now head into the second leg on Feb. 25, 2026 (ET) under a cloud of controversy.

What happened on the pitch in Lisbon

The game was interrupted shortly after Vinicius celebrated the only goal of the night, when he told the referee he had been racially abused by Benfica midfielder Gianluca Prestianni. Cameras captured Vinicius running to the referee and the official responding by activating the anti-racism protocol. Players left the field during a stoppage that lasted around 10 minutes before the match resumed.

Vinicius said in a social media post: "Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to put their shirts in their mouths to show how weak they are. " He also questioned the handling of the incident, writing that he had been shown a yellow card for his goal celebration and calling the referee's intervention "a poorly executed protocol that served no purpose. " The forward added that the episode was not new to him or his team.

Prestianni has firmly denied the allegation in a written statement, saying: "I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard. I was never racist with anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players. " Benfica defended the player with images it said showed the distance between him and the Real Madrid players, arguing that what was heard could not be reliably identified.

Reactions from teammates, managers and the wider game

The incident sparked intense reactions. One prominent teammate urged that the player involved should not be allowed to play in the Champions League again, saying he had seen the alleged slur and could not let such behaviour go unchallenged. Real Madrid's coaching staff signalled strong support for Vinicius, with the team initially prepared to leave the pitch in protest before play resumed.

Benfica's manager engaged directly with Vinicius during the stoppage and later described receiving differing accounts of the exchange. He defended his club's history and suggested the goal celebration had provoked a reaction, saying the celebration was viewed by some as disrespectful. He also emphasised a need for balance when judging the confrontation between the players.

Real Madrid's side and others in the game have stressed that racism must not be tolerated in modern football. A club representative said that the incident underlined the necessity for clear, effective application of anti-racism protocols and for decisive action when allegations arise on the field.

Implications ahead of the second leg

With the tie level on aggregate and the return fixture scheduled for Feb. 25, 2026 (ET), attention will be split between the sporting stakes and the fallout from the alleged incident. Disciplinary authorities will be under pressure to review what was said, examine footage and statements, and determine whether further sanctions or procedures are warranted.

Both clubs face scrutiny over their handling of the episode. For Real Madrid, the situation rekindles memories of previous racist abuse endured by the same player. For Benfica, the club must manage internal tensions and external perceptions while preparing for a high-stakes match at the same venue that hosted the disputed first leg.

As the second leg approaches, players, officials and governing bodies will be watched closely for how they address both the competitive and ethical dimensions of the controversy. The match now carries an added significance beyond the scoreboard: a test of the sport's mechanisms for confronting racism and preserving the integrity of the competition.