shia labeouf arrested after alleged bar assaults during Mardi Gras in New Orleans
The actor was taken into custody early Tuesday after police were called to a rowdy scene in Faubourg Marigny near the French Quarter. Authorities say he was charged with two counts of simple battery following alleged physical confrontations at local bars during the city’s Mardi Gras climax.
What police say happened
The New Orleans Police Department says officers responded at 12: 45 a. m. ET on Tuesday to a disturbance at a Royal Street business where staff reported an aggressive patron. Court documents state that staff attempted to escort the man out and that he allegedly struck a manager’s helper multiple times. After leaving and then returning, the man is accused of punching a second patron in the nose.
Bystanders restrained the individual until officers arrived. He was evaluated at a hospital, discharged, and then booked on two counts of simple battery. He was later released on his own recognizance. Law enforcement has tentatively scheduled the next hearing in the battery case for March 19.
Scenes on the streets and multiple bar encounters
Witnesses across the city described a week-long string of encounters involving the actor at various bars along parade routes and in Uptown. Staff at several establishments said the man had been asked to leave on multiple occasions for belligerent or disruptive behavior, including an attempt to get behind a bar and serve drinks. One doorman recalled an exchange in which the visitor asked, "Do you know who I am?" while another bartender said the visitor had been pleasant earlier in the weekend but more confrontational by Sunday.
A video that circulated from early Tuesday showed the actor shirtless and involved in a verbal confrontation; paramedics were seen attending to him afterward. Within hours of his release, he was observed on Bourbon Street dancing and holding what appeared to be his release paperwork, witness accounts said. Thousands of costumed revelers were gathered in and around the affected bar at various points during the day.
Background and legal context
The actor has publicly discussed struggles with sobriety in the past and previously attended court-ordered treatment following a 2017 arrest in Savannah, Georgia. He drew on that experience when creating a semi-autobiographical film. In 2020, a former partner filed a lawsuit alleging physical and emotional abuse; the actor denied wrongdoing and the parties reached a settlement in July 2025.
Staff at the Royal Street establishment said they do not want the actor to return following the incident. The actor’s representatives did not immediately respond to requests for comment on the New Orleans arrest. Local law enforcement has not released additional details beyond the battery charges as the case moves through the municipal court process.
The arrest comes amid the peak of the city’s multi-week carnival celebrations, when nightlife and parade traffic typically put law enforcement and hospitality staff under added pressure. Authorities will provide further updates as the investigation and court proceedings continue.