shia labeouf arrested in New Orleans amid Mardi Gras celebrations

shia labeouf arrested in New Orleans amid Mardi Gras celebrations

Actor shia labeouf was arrested early Tuesday after police were called to a disturbance near the French Quarter, where he is accused of becoming aggressive at a local bar and punching two men. The arrest capped days of reported bar encounters as the city reached the climax of its Mardi Gras festivities.

What authorities say happened

Police were summoned at 12: 45 a. m. ET on Tuesday to Faubourg Marigny, adjacent to the French Quarter, after staff at a Royal Street establishment reported trouble involving the actor. Officers say the bar manager tried to remove an increasingly aggressive LaBeouf; during that encounter the actor allegedly attempted to strike the manager and then assaulted a patron who stepped in to help.

After being escorted out, LaBeouf is accused of returning to the bar and striking a second man in the nose. Bystanders restrained him until officers arrived. He was taken to a hospital for treatment of minor injuries, discharged, then arrested and charged with two counts of simple battery. He was released on his own recognizance later that day. A preliminary hearing in the case is tentatively scheduled for March 19.

Alleged behavior across the city and witness accounts

City nightlife workers describe multiple encounters with LaBeouf during the run-up to Fat Tuesday. Staff at several bars and clubs said he had been seen at a handful of venues and that his demeanor varied across visits—friendly on some nights, belligerent on others. At one uptown dive, a doorman recalled asking him to leave after he attempted to get behind the bar and serve drinks. At another venue, staff say he was shirtless and argumentative before being told to leave.

Witnesses said the actor at times leaned on his celebrity, asking patrons if they recognized him. Other bystanders captured footage of an unruly exchange in the early hours, with paramedics later attending to him. Employees at the Royal Street location said they do not want him back after his release from custody.

Past struggles and legal context

LaBeouf has publicly discussed past struggles with sobriety and has credited fellow actors with helping him through recovery. He has previously attended court-mandated rehabilitation after an arrest in 2017 and used that experience as material for a semi-autobiographical film. He is also the subject of civil litigation from a former partner, which was settled last year.

The current charges are misdemeanor-level counts of simple battery. If convicted, LaBeouf would face penalties under state law for those offenses, though plea deals and diversion programs can also be possibilities in such cases. His legal team did not immediately provide a public comment.

What comes next

Authorities have filed formal charges and the matter will proceed through the local court system. The city, meanwhile, saw thousands of revelers in costume for Mardi Gras events when the incident occurred, complicating crowd control and police response. For patrons and staff working in New Orleans nightlife, the episode has renewed discussion about handling intoxicated or disruptive celebrities and ensuring the safety of employees and other guests.

The case will return to court on the scheduled date, where prosecutors and defense counsel will determine next steps. For now, the charges stand while investigators and prosecutors prepare for forthcoming proceedings.