Deadly shooting at Pawtucket high school hockey game leaves multiple dead, dozens shaken

Deadly shooting at Pawtucket high school hockey game leaves multiple dead, dozens shaken

A deadly shooting at a high school hockey game in Pawtucket, Rhode Island, on Feb. 16, 2026 (Eastern Time) left multiple people dead and several others wounded, authorities said. The attack unfolded inside the Dennis M. Lynch Arena during a school event, prompting an immediate evacuation and a large emergency response.

Incident and casualties

Pawtucket police said the violence began inside the arena in the afternoon on Feb. 16. Initial emergency calls brought law enforcement and medical personnel to the scene. Officials confirmed that at least two civilians were killed and multiple people were wounded. Authorities later said the suspect was found dead, bringing the total fatalities related to the shooting to three, including the gunman.

Witnesses described chaotic scenes as players, families and fans scrambled for exits. Some young athletes were comforted by relatives outside the rink after being evacuated. An evacuation bus and other emergency transport were staged nearby to move students and spectators to safety. Local hospitals received several patients with gunshot wounds; their conditions ranged from serious to critical.

What authorities say and investigation underway

The Pawtucket Police Department identified the incident as stemming from a family dispute. Officers secured the arena and searched the surrounding area; investigators collected evidence and interviewed witnesses at the scene. Law enforcement urged anyone with information or video from the arena to come forward to aid the probe.

Officials stressed that schools and community groups in the area would receive support while investigators work to establish a full timeline and motive. Nearby businesses temporarily closed as emergency personnel maintained a perimeter and reviewed security footage. No additional suspects were being sought by police during the initial response.

Community and sports world reactions

The shooting reverberated across the local sports community and beyond. A prominent professional football organization issued a message expressing heartbreak and condolences for the students, coaches and families affected by the incident. Local school leaders announced counseling and crisis resources for students and staff, and community members gathered at nearby sites to offer support.

Players and parents who had been at the arena described shock and grief. Several youth athletes left the building in tears and were reunited with family members outside. Organizers canceled or postponed related events in the wake of the shooting while officials coordinated victim assistance and victim notification efforts.

As the investigation continues, municipal and school officials have pledged to review security protocols at athletic venues. Authorities are expected to release additional details when they are available and to provide updates on the condition of the wounded and the progress of the active investigation.