Amtrak and the Trump administration on Tuesday jointly approved a plan to rebuild New York’s Penn Station that keeps Madison Square Garden in place and names Penn Transformation Partners to lead the project.
The approved plan lays out a new, grand entrance on Eighth Avenue leading into a new train hall, new concourses to replace the cramped walkways commuters use today, increased track capacity and at least limited through‑running on the regional rail network. The plan also calls for renovating Madison Square Garden with a new glass entrance and an upgraded exterior. Officials say they expect to break ground before the end of 2027.
Sean P. Duffy, who has overseen the effort since the federal takeover a year ago, framed the approval as proof of progress. "We took over the transformation of New York Penn Station because the project was behind schedule, over budget and hopelessly mismanaged. One year later, we continue to hit major milestones at record speed," he said, and added that by selecting Penn Transformation Partners officials were "one step closer to delivering a world-class travel hub that daily commuters and travelers have dreamed of for decades."
The numbers and features in the plan are the weight of the announcement: a new train hall on Eighth Avenue, rebuilt concourses, expanded track capacity and a commitment to introduce at least limited through‑running—changes intended to relieve one of the country’s busiest, most congested stations. Keeping Madison Square Garden in place while upgrading its exterior and entrance was a specific and deliberate part of the package.
Context matters: Penn Station has long been described as a less‑than‑inspiring gateway to the city, and there had been public debate over whether Madison Square Garden should be relocated to allow a larger, unobstructed transit complex. The administration had previously signaled openness to relocation. The plan approved today, however, leaves the arena in situ and pairs a major transit overhaul with a renovation of the Garden itself.
The announcement carries an obvious tension. Duffy’s team says the project was taken over a year ago because it was behind schedule, over budget and mismanaged, and the newly selected developer comes with promises of rapid progress. Yet officials have not provided a timeline for completion or an overall cost for the sprawling program. That gap—big projects promised quickly but without a wrap date or price tag—underlines why skepticism from commuters and watchdogs is likely to persist even as the paperwork moves forward.
Practically speaking, the move to keep Madison Square Garden on site answers the most immediate question about the corner of Eighth Avenue and 33rd Street: the arena will remain, and it will be given a new glass entrance and upgraded exterior as part of the project. For riders, the key change will be the spatial rework inside the station: new concourses replacing the narrow walkways and additional tracks designed to allow more trains—and, for the first time at Penn, some through‑running across regional lines.
Officials say the next visible milestone will be a groundbreaking expected before the end of 2027. That start date sets a new clock for a project that Duffy says was rescued from mismanagement; it also raises the immediate follow‑on question the announcement leaves unanswered—how long construction will disrupt the station and how much the full program will cost.
For now the answer that matters most to anyone who comes and goes through Penn is simple and decisive: Madison Square Garden will stay, but the station around it will be remade—starting with a new Eighth Avenue entrance, new concourses and increased track capacity—and officials expect to break ground before the end of 2027.



