shia labeouf allegedly used homophobic slurs before New Orleans arrest

shia labeouf allegedly used homophobic slurs before New Orleans arrest

Actor Shia LaBeouf was arrested early Tuesday during Mardi Gras festivities in New Orleans after an altercation that two men say included homophobic slurs. Police booked the 39-year-old on misdemeanor battery charges and released him on his own recognizance later that day. Video and victim statements have prompted questions about whether prosecutors may pursue enhanced charges.

What authorities and alleged victims say happened

Police were called to the French Quarter shortly after midnight local time on Mardi Gras for a disturbance outside a bar. Two men named in the police paperwork said LaBeouf struck them during the incident. One of the men, who uses the name Jeffrey Damnit, said he was dressed in drag and wearing makeup when the actor allegedly attacked him while shouting a homophobic slur. Damnit shared a cellphone video that shows LaBeouf in the back of a vehicle being examined by first responders; a slur can be heard on the recording.

The other man identified by police, Nathan Thomas Reed, who said he identifies as queer, echoed those claims and said he too was targeted with homophobic language during the confrontation. An initial police report also noted an alleged remark in which LaBeouf referenced his Catholic faith while using a derogatory term, but that detail does not appear in the sworn court filing that summarized probable cause for the arrest.

Charges, release and potential legal implications

LaBeouf was booked on two counts of simple battery and released from custody on his own recognizance by Tuesday afternoon ET. The charges being handled as misdemeanors can still carry penalties if prosecutors pursue them to conviction, and Louisiana law permits enhanced penalties when an offense is motivated by a victim's actual or perceived sexual orientation or other protected characteristic.

Whether investigators or prosecutors will seek a hate-crime enhancement remains unclear. The case is open and will move through the local court process; any additional charges or formal hate-crime allegations would have to be filed by prosecutors after review of the investigation and evidence, including witness statements and the videos that have circulated.

Aftermath and public reaction

Within hours of his release, LaBeouf was seen on Bourbon Street, dancing with Mardi Gras beads and carrying release documents in his mouth. A brief interaction captured by a reporter includes LaBeouf praising the festivities and saying the best part of the celebration was the interesting people he met. At about 5: 30 a. m. ET on Ash Wednesday he posted a short message on his social account that read, "Free me. "

One of the men who said he was targeted called on union leadership to consider whether it is safe for LaBeouf to work with other performers, pointing to the alleged use of hateful language. LaBeouf has previously been public about struggles with addiction and legal problems; those personal history details have figured into past interventions and court-ordered programs, and they are likely to inform public discussion as this case proceeds.

Police characterized the incident as an ongoing investigation and said it will be adjudicated in court. The coming days and weeks should clarify whether prosecutors move forward with the current battery counts alone or seek additional charges tied to the alleged slurs and the identities of the victims.