12 killed in Xiangyang fireworks blast during lunar new year celebrations
At least 12 people died when a fireworks shop in Xiangyang, central Hubei province, exploded and caught fire on Wednesday afternoon ET,. Emergency crews extinguished the blaze after it tore through a roughly 50-square-metre area of the premises. Investigators have opened an inquiry into the cause as authorities warn that pyrotechnics remain a top safety risk during the lunar new year period.
Casualties, scene and immediate response
Authorities said the victims included five children and seven adults, encompassing the shop owner and customers who had been buying fireworks for holiday observances. Several people had travelled to the area to visit relatives for the holiday when the blast occurred. Emergency teams extinguished the fire soon after it began; the flames had engulfed about 50 square metres of the shop front and interior.
Investigators arrived at the scene to secure evidence and begin a formal probe into what triggered the explosion. Officials have not released a final determination of the cause, and the investigation is ongoing. Local emergency services were mobilised quickly and worked to contain the blaze and check surrounding buildings for possible secondary hazards.
Wider safety concerns amid holiday traditions
The blast in Xiangyang marks the second deadly fireworks-related incident in as many days during the lunar new year celebrations. On Sunday, another explosion at a fireworks retailer in eastern China killed eight people and injured others after fireworks were ignited too close to the building, authorities said. In June last year, an industrial explosion at a fireworks factory in a neighbouring province killed nine people and injured dozens.
Firecrackers and fireworks are deeply embedded in lunar new year customs, used to mark the start of the festival, ward off misfortune and welcome prosperity. That cultural significance complicates efforts by some cities and local governments to limit or ban pyrotechnics for safety and air-quality reasons. Officials warn that despite restrictions in some areas, widespread use during the holiday continues to create dangerous conditions.
The Ministry of Emergency Management has issued renewed advisories urging heightened vigilance during the Spring Festival period and called on regional authorities to strengthen oversight of fireworks production, storage and retail. Authorities have pressed for comprehensive risk assessments, tighter supervision of sales outlets and clearer public safety messaging for households celebrating the holiday.
Investigations, public guidance and next steps
Investigators are expected to examine storage practices, licensing, handling procedures and whether any safety regulations were breached at the Xiangyang shop. Local officials are conducting inspections of other retailers to identify similar hazards, and public safety notices have been distributed reminding residents to avoid igniting pyrotechnics near storage facilities and retail outlets.
Emergency management officials have urged people to prioritise certified public displays or approved zones over private fireworks use. As investigations proceed, authorities are likely to review enforcement gaps and consider stricter measures in high-risk areas to prevent further tragedies during the remainder of the holiday period.
The Xiangyang blast underscores recurring tensions between tradition and public safety during one of the busiest travel and celebration seasons of the year. With multiple recent incidents tied to pyrotechnics, officials say intensified oversight and community cooperation will be essential to reduce risks and protect celebrants throughout the lunar new year.