shia labeouf Arrest in New Orleans: Alleged Homophobic Slurs and Mardi Gras Altercation

shia labeouf Arrest in New Orleans: Alleged Homophobic Slurs and Mardi Gras Altercation

Actor shia labeouf was arrested early Tuesday in New Orleans after two men say he assaulted them and used homophobic slurs. Authorities booked the 39-year-old on two counts of misdemeanor battery; he was released on his own recognizance the same afternoon and later seen on Bourbon Street during Mardi Gras festivities.

Allegations and victims' accounts

Two men identified by police as victims say the actor directed anti‑gay slurs at them during an incident at a bar in the early hours of the holiday. Jeffrey Damnit, born with the surname Klein, said he was wearing drag makeup when the confrontation occurred and that the actor attempted to strike him while yelling, "You're a fucking faggot. " Damnit provided a cellphone video that captures the actor in the back of a vehicle being assessed by first responders and glancing at Damnit while repeating the slur.

The second man named by police, Nathan Thomas Reed, said he identifies as queer and told journalists that LaBeouf used the same slur against him during the episode. An initial patrol report included an additional allegation that the actor was heard saying, "These faggots put me in jail, " while referencing his Catholic faith; that detail did not appear in the sworn statement later filed in criminal court summarizing the probable cause for the arrest.

Both victims spoke publicly in the day after the arrest, and the footage provided by Damnit has become a central piece of the public narrative around the case. Law enforcement continues to investigate the incident as it moves through the criminal process.

Legal status and next steps

LaBeouf was charged with two counts of simple battery and released from custody on his own recognizance on Tuesday afternoon. He was scheduled to appear before a judge at 4: 00 p. m. ET that day. At present, the misdemeanor charges remain pending and prosecutors will determine whether any enhanced charges, such as those invoking state hate-crime statutes, are warranted based on the investigation.

Louisiana law permits prosecutors to seek enhanced penalties when a violent offense is motivated by a victim's actual or perceived race, age, gender, sexual orientation, or similar characteristics. It is not yet clear whether that statute will figure in the case against LaBeouf. A police representative declined to provide further comment, noting the matter must be adjudicated in court and that additional information will be released if it becomes available.

Behavior in New Orleans and aftermath

Within hours of his release, LaBeouf was photographed and filmed on Bourbon Street wearing Mardi Gras beads and holding his release paperwork in his mouth as he danced among revelers. He told a reporter, "God bless you, guys — Mardi Gras is amazing, " and later posted the single-line message "Free me" on his social feed at about 5: 30 a. m. ET on Ash Wednesday.

Details that have emerged in the days around the arrest paint a picture of an actor who spent several days in the city ahead of Fat Tuesday, interacting with locals and tourists at multiple bars and parade routes. Some witnesses described boisterous behavior in public venues in the lead-up to the incident. The actor has previously spoken publicly about struggles with alcohol and sobriety, and those conversations have reappeared in coverage of the New Orleans events.

Separately, one report says LaBeouf and his wife quietly separated nearly a year ago; it is not known whether any formal divorce filings have been made. Representatives for the people involved have not offered public comment on the pending criminal matter. The case will proceed through the local courts and any potential criminal enhancements or civil claims could follow depending on the outcome of the investigation.