benfica vs real madrid: Vinicius calls out 'racists are cowards' after match halted
Real Madrid's 1-0 victory in Lisbon on Tuesday was overshadowed when Vinicius Junior alleged racial abuse by a Benfica player, prompting a stoppage in play and a heated exchange between the clubs and players. The incident, which saw the referee invoke the anti-racism protocol, has raised fresh questions over how such situations are handled on the biggest stage of European club football.
Match halted as Vinicius alleges abuse
The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius celebrated the only goal of the night, when he approached referee François Letexier to say he had been racially abused by Benfica midfielder Gianluca Prestianni. The referee signalled the staged anti-racism procedure by placing his hands across his face, and the game was stopped for around 10 minutes while players and officials conferred on the touchline. Both teams briefly left the pitch before play resumed.
Vinicius, who has endured multiple racist episodes during his career, used social media to condemn the act and to criticise what he described as a "poorly executed protocol". He wrote: "Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to put their shirts in their mouths to show how weak they are. " He added that the reaction from match officials and organisers did not meet his expectations and questioned the effectiveness of the intervention in that moment.
Responses and denials
Prestianni denied the allegation, saying he did not use racist language and that the Madrid player "misunderstood what he thought he heard. " Benfica issued a statement defending their player and shared footage they said showed the distance and context made it impossible for the Real Madrid squad to have clearly heard what was claimed.
On the touchline, both managers were involved in discussions during the stoppage. Real Madrid's coaching staff stood firmly beside their player, while Benfica's manager expressed a more measured view, noting he had been told different accounts of what happened. Emotions ran high as teammates from both sides confronted one another over the celebration and the subsequent exchange.
Critics of how the episode was handled point to the confused sequence that followed the referee's initial intervention: conversations between officials, team staff and players that ultimately led to the match resuming rather than being abandoned or suspended for a longer period. That choice has prompted debate over when and how the anti-racism protocol should be escalated, especially when allegations involve player-to-player abuse rather than crowd behaviour.
What happens next and fixture context
Disciplinary and governing bodies are now expected to review the incident, the referee's actions and any available audiovisual evidence. Both clubs will also likely submit statements and be asked to cooperate with any formal inquiries. The two sides meet again for the second leg on 25 February 2026 (ET), a fixture now carrying added tension beyond the normal stakes of a Champions League knockout tie.
For Vinicius and his supporters, the episode is another painful reminder of the broader struggle against racism in football. For organisers and officials, it is a test of the protocols designed to protect players and preserve the integrity of the competition. How the authorities respond in the coming days will shape not only the disciplinary outcome but also the wider conversation about ensuring swift, decisive action when alleged racist abuse occurs on the pitch.