Nancy Guthrie Update Today: Day 22 — DNA Lab Delay, 50,000 Tips, and No Suspect Named

Nancy Guthrie Update Today: Day 22 — DNA Lab Delay, 50,000 Tips, and No Suspect Named
Nancy Guthrie Update

Twenty-two days since 84-year-old Nancy Guthrie vanished from her Catalina Foothills home north of Tucson, Arizona, and investigators are no closer to publicly naming a suspect. As Sunday, February 22 ET arrives, the case remains in a grinding phase of old-fashioned detective work, with the most critical forensic evidence still tied up at a private DNA laboratory in Florida and law enforcement urging the overwhelmed public tip lines to only report credible, actionable information.

Where the Investigation Stands Today

Detectives and agents are back in the Guthrie neighborhood canvassing as part of the investigation. Investigators have collected multiple gloves from the area, and analysis is part of the investigation, with specific details not shared publicly as this remains an active investigation.

Between 40,000 and 50,000 leads have poured in between the sheriff's office and the FBI since Nancy Guthrie was first reported missing on February 1. Despite the staggering volume of tips, Pima County Sheriff Chris Nanos said his department currently has no names it is investigating in connection with the 84-year-old's disappearance.

The DNA Lab Snag That Is Slowing Everything Down

The most consequential bottleneck in the case right now is a complication at a private laboratory in Florida tasked with processing the most promising biological evidence recovered from inside Nancy Guthrie's home. Sheriff Nanos disclosed a snag at that private Florida lab testing mixed DNA samples found at the Guthrie property.

The sheriff's department has stated that DNA analysis is underway on evidence recovered during the investigation, adding that the process can be lengthy. Separately, a glove found about two miles from the house appeared to visually match the ones worn by the suspect, but DNA taken from it was run through CODIS — the FBI's national database of more than 19 million known offenders — and returned no match.

Genetic Genealogy: The Investigation's Best Remaining Tool

With the CODIS database producing no results on the glove DNA, investigators have turned to a more advanced forensic method. DNA expert CeCe Moore told the Today show that if she were the kidnapper, she would be extremely concerned right now, as investigators turn to genetic genealogy — a technique that previously identified the Golden State Killer and University of Idaho murderer Bryan Kohberger.

Authorities are not permitted to use private genealogy sites such as Ancestry.com or 23andMe, and must instead rely on publicly available DNA databases. Moore noted that the process may take a while. But she expressed genuine hope, calling the discovery of an unknown person's DNA at the scene a potentially crucial development for investigators.

The Suspect Profile and Possible Accomplices

The FBI described the person seen in doorbell camera footage as the suspect in Nancy Guthrie's kidnapping — a male approximately 5-foot-9 to 5-foot-10, average build, wearing a ski mask, gloves, a jacket, and a distinctive gun holster positioned unusually between his legs, and carrying a backpack.

Investigators have not ruled out the possibility that other people may have been involved in Nancy Guthrie's disappearance. Meanwhile, investigators say they are still working to find Guthrie's pacemaker — a device with Bluetooth functionality that could potentially be located via helicopter or drone — and are canvassing gun stores in the region to try to match the suspect's unusual holster to a purchaser.

911 Lines Overwhelmed by Non-Actionable Calls

A significant and frustrating development this week has been the sheer volume of non-productive calls flooding the local 911 system. The 911 communications center has been swamped by calls from people who want to share theories, premonitions, and opinions rather than actionable leads. Dispatch manager Cecila Ochoa urged callers to ask themselves whether their tip is viable and credible before dialing.

The department has received at least 32,000 calls since February 1, including at least 23,000 administrative calls — a sharp increase from the same time period last year. Officials have made clear that non-emergency lines and 911 must remain available for genuine tips and emergencies, not public speculation.

Reward, Ransom Notes, and Family Appeals

The FBI is offering a $202,500 reward — bolstered by an anonymous donor who contributed $102,500 in addition to the FBI's existing $100,000 offering — for any information that leads to the kidnapper's arrest.

Early in the case, TMZ reported on an initial ransom note demanding millions of dollars in Bitcoin for Nancy's safe return, which stated she was safe but scared. A second note was later sent to a local television station. A man was separately charged with sending a fraudulent ransom threat, with the FBI confirming he had no connection to the actual disappearance.

Family appeals on social media have not yielded any proof of life from the person or persons who abducted Nancy Guthrie. As of the latest law enforcement statements, her condition and whereabouts remain unknown. Savannah Guthrie has suspended her broadcasting duties, including coverage of the 2026 Winter Olympics, to remain close to the investigation and continue publicly appealing for her mother's return.

Anyone with information is urged to contact the Pima County Sheriff's Department tip line at 520-351-4900 or the FBI tip line at 1-800-CALL-FBI.