Conor Benn leaves Matchroom for Zuffa Boxing as Eddie Hearn says move was a 'dagger in the heart'
conor benn has split from Eddie Hearn's Matchroom Boxing to sign with Dana White's Zuffa Boxing, a decision that the promoter says he first learned of in an email and that he describes as a "dagger in the heart. " The move follows Benn's November rematch win over Chris Eubank Jr and comes after a period in which Hearn says he supported the fighter financially and professionally through a suspension.
Conor Benn signs with Zuffa Boxing
The 29-year-old announced he has joined Dana White's Zuffa Boxing and said he is seeking "legacy fights" and "the biggest stages. " In a social media statement Benn thanked Eddie Hearn and the Matchroom team for a decade of support, saying they guided him from turning professional to headlining stadium shows and had stood "shoulder to shoulder" during difficult moments. Benn described himself as "filled with excitement and hunger for what's ahead with Zuffa Boxing, " added that he fears no man at any weight, and said he and Zuffa have "bold, ambitious plans. " He also expressed a wish that Hearn would continue to be part of his team as the partnership evolves.
Eddie Hearn discovered the move by email and said he was 'devastated'
Eddie Hearn says the first he knew of Benn's decision was an email from the boxer's lawyer. Hearn called the notification a "dagger in the heart, " saying he messaged Benn and requested a phone call but was refused. Benn's reply, Hearn said, included the line "Oh no, you'll be very emotional. We'll let it calm down first. " Hearn described himself as "pretty devastated, " said he blamed himself for not securing a new contract, and acknowledged he had "made a mistake" in trusting Benn. He added that he had "died on a hill for him" and that the split had been "very painful. "
Eubank Jr rematch, suspension and Hearn's support
Benn beat long-time rival Chris Eubank Jr in a blockbuster rematch at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in November, having lost the pair's first meeting in April. The rematch followed a 2022 episode in which Benn twice tested positive for the banned substance Clomifene in voluntary tests; those positives led to a two-year suspension. Benn maintained his innocence and was cleared to fight in the UK again in 2024. Hearn said he backed Benn through that suspension period, promoted Benn in two stadium fights against Eubank Jr after he was cleared, and had been positioning him for a world title shot.
WBC mandatory status and target fights
Benn has won 24 of his 25 professional bouts and has been confirmed as the mandatory challenger for the WBC welterweight title. The belt is held by Mario Barrios, who will defend it against Ryan Garcia in Las Vegas on February 21. Benn has said he is "within touching distance" of the WBC title and is ready to fight the winner of Barrios against Garcia; he also recently moved down in weight after his November rematch win to pursue the long-term ambition of becoming a world champion.
Financial and managerial fallout involving Keith Connolly
Hearn said he lent "hundreds of thousands of pounds" to Benn while the boxer was out of the ring during his suspension and that he had backed Benn when others would not. He also revealed he exchanged words with Benn's manager, Keith Connolly, calling them "very choice words. " Hearn has not ruled out working with Benn in the future but said he felt he had misjudged Benn's character and taken the loyalty shown for granted. After the move was announced, Matchroom has been left unclear on what role, if any, it will play in Benn's career going forward.
What makes this notable is the scale of commitment Hearn says he provided—financial loans, public backing during controversy and stadium headliners—which frames the split as more than a routine promoter change and explains the intensity of the promoter's reaction.