Fireworks Shop Blast Kills 12 During lunar new year Celebrations in Hubei

Fireworks Shop Blast Kills 12 During lunar new year Celebrations in Hubei

At least 12 people were killed when an explosion and fire ripped through a fireworks shop in Xiangyang, central Hubei province, on Wednesday afternoon ET, authorities said. The blast is the latest in a string of pyrotechnics-related accidents that have shadowed the lunar new year period.

What happened in Xiangyang

The explosion occurred at an unnamed retailer in the town and quickly engulfed roughly 50 square metres of the premises. Emergency services extinguished the blaze on Wednesday afternoon ET and local investigators have opened an inquiry into the cause of the detonation. Officials identified the victims as seven adults and five children, including the shop owner and several customers who had been buying fireworks for the holiday.

Footage circulating after the incident showed heavy smoke and a charred storefront. Authorities are assessing whether improper handling, storage conditions, or an external ignition source triggered the explosion. Investigators have not released a full sequence of events or a final determination while the probe is ongoing.

Wider pattern of holiday accidents and safety warnings

The Xiangyang explosion follows a separate deadly incident on Sunday ET in another eastern province in which eight people were killed and two injured at a fireworks shop. Local officials in that case said someone had set off fireworks close to the building, which then ignited stock stored inside.

Pyrotechnic accidents are a recurring hazard during the spring festival season. In June, a blast at a fireworks factory in a neighbouring province killed nine people and wounded dozens more, underscoring ongoing risks in the industry. Authorities have repeatedly warned that fireworks remain one of the biggest dangers during holiday periods and have urged tighter oversight of production, storage, transport and retail sales.

Some cities have imposed bans or strict controls on firecrackers and large displays to reduce risk and limit air pollution. Those measures are controversial in many areas because blasting firecrackers is a long-standing tradition meant to usher in good fortune and scare away evil spirits. In recent years, some locales have moved from blanket bans to managed, scheduled displays in an effort to balance cultural practices with public safety.

Aftermath and investigation

Emergency management officials have called for strengthened enforcement of safety standards at retail outlets and for rapid inspections of similar shops during the holiday. Investigators at the Xiangyang site are collecting evidence and examining storage practices, building safety measures and whether any nearby activity could have initiated the blast.

Local authorities have also been asked to review risk assessments and to ensure first responders have clear access to facilities that sell or store pyrotechnic materials. Families of the deceased are being notified and local relief measures are expected to be offered to those affected.

The incident has reignited debate over how to reconcile cultural customs with modern safety needs. As officials pursue the inquiry, the immediate focus remains on supporting victims’ families, securing other potential hazards in the area, and preventing further tragedies during the remainder of the lunar new year period.