‘We Were Targeted’: Daughter Says Vendetta Fueled rhode island shooting That Killed Ex-Wife and Son
Authorities continue piecing together what led to a deadly attack at a high school hockey game Monday evening (ET) in Pawtucket, where a gunman opened fire in the stands and later was found dead inside the arena. Two family members were killed, several others were wounded and a bystander’s intervention is credited with stopping further bloodshed.
Daughter: ‘This was very specific’ — family members among dead and wounded
Amanda Wallace-Hubbard, the shooter’s daughter from another relationship, said the violence was not random and that her family had been targeted. "I just want to make sure people understand this was one person's vendetta against their family, " she said in an interview. She added she feared for her sons' safety until a stranger intervened.
Police identified the dead as the suspect’s ex-wife and an adult son. Several other relatives, including the victims' parents, were injured and taken to hospital in critical condition. The suspect was located inside the Dennis M. Lynch Arena and appeared to have died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Good Samaritan wrestled gun away, witnesses describe chaos
Bystanders scrambled as shots rang out while players were on the ice. One spectator, Michael Black, described hearing two sudden pops before moving to stop the shooter. He said he reached for the weapon and his hand became caught in the firearm’s chamber — a contact that prevented the attacker from firing again.
the swift actions of those in the crowd likely prevented further fatalities. Players and spectators fled the rink in panic, and emergency responders evacuated the arena. A number of injured people were treated at area hospitals.
Police examine motive, social posts, divorce history and workplace behavior
Investigators recovered two handguns at the scene — a Glock 10mm and a SIG Sauer P226 — and said both were legally owned. The probe is focused on the shooter’s motive and a string of social media posts in which the individual used threatening language and wrote about going "berserk. " Detectives are reviewing thousands of online entries as part of the inquiry.
Court records show the couple had been involved in a divorce filed in 2020. Those papers initially referenced gender reassignment surgery and personality issues before the grounds were modified to cite irreconcilable differences. Prior police paperwork also shows the suspect had filed a complaint against a relative, alleging threats had been made; that criminal matter was later dismissed.
People who worked with the shooter at a shipbuilding facility said he could have a volatile temper and had engaged in heated confrontations with coworkers. Family members described long-running animosity in the years before Monday’s attack.
Officials stressed the investigation remains active, with detectives continuing interviews and digital forensics. In the wake of the shooting, family members have mourned and thanked the stranger whose intervention they believe saved lives. Police urged anyone with information to come forward as they work to reconstruct the timeline and fully understand what motivated the attack.