Britain's Got Talent 2026: what time it's on, where it was filmed and why KSI replaced Bruno Tonioli
Series 19 of britain's got talent has begun, bringing a reshuffled judging panel and a packed opening show that matters for viewers tracking airtime, filming location and why KSI has taken over from Bruno Tonioli. The first episode set the tone for the run and sparked early reaction online.
New panel and the launch night line-up
Amanda Holden returns, reuniting with Simon Cowell and Alesha Dixon, and KSI joins the judging panel as a full-time member. Newcastle duo Ant and Dec are once again on presenting duties; Ant McPartlin and Declan Donnelly appeared alongside Amanda, Alesha, Simon and KSI at the Series 19 launch at the Ham Yard Hotel. The judges' buzzers are in place as the search begins for the next big act.
Last year's series was won by magician Harry Moulding, who overcame competitors including dance group The Blackouts and dancer Binita Chetry. The victorious act earned the chance to perform at the Royal Variety Performance and a prize of £250, 000.
Broadcast timing, episode length and schedule changes
The new series opened on Saturday (February 21) at 7pm, with the first episode running for 85 minutes and scheduled immediately after Graham Norton’s Wheel of Fortune. The first round of auditions was followed at 8. 25pm by Lee Mack’s The 1% Club. Broadcaster scheduling will not air the programme on March 14 because of the final of the 2026 Six Nations Championship, and it is unclear in the provided context whether the May 16 instalment will move because of the Eurovision Song Contest 2026.
The long-running spin-off that once gave fans behind-the-scenes access, Britain’s Got More Talent, is not returning for 2026; that series ran from 2007 to 2019 and was presented by Stephen Mulhern.
Where Britain's Got Talent auditions were filmed: Winter Gardens, Blackpool and past venues
The latest batch of auditions was held in the Winter Gardens in Blackpool. Auditions for the programme have been filmed in Blackpool for the past three series. Previously, screening venues included The Lowry in Salford and the London Palladium in London.
Amanda Holden, who has appeared on every season of the programme, said she loves heading up north for the auditions. She described Blackpool as "Britain’s Got Talent’s spiritual home because it is the home of entertainment, " praised the warmth and energy of people there, and said: "Even in the hotel, we get so looked after. Everybody’s so warm and gorgeous. It really does feel like you’re at home. " She added that bringing the show to Blackpool was "great for Blackpool and for us" because it helps bring life back to the town.
Why Bruno Tonioli left and KSI's permanent appointment
Bruno Tonioli confirmed he will not be taking part in this year's show after appearing on the programme for three series, having joined in 2023 when he stepped into David Walliams' role. He said he would not return for Series 19 because of diary clashes with Dancing With The Stars in the United States and that he was stepping down to film a new series of that programme. In his statement he reflected on three "incredible series, " said he would miss the "chaos and joy" of the show and praised the team he worked with.
The programme responded that Bruno was stepping down due to filming commitments and noted he will now be seen stateside continuing his judging role. KSI — the YouTuber, boxer and musician whose real name is Olajide 'JJ' Olatunji — has been announced as Bruno's permanent replacement after serving as a guest judge in the previous series. KSI said he was "so grateful and happy to be a part of the Britain's Got Talent team for another season, " adding that he was "full of energy, ready to go" and excited to see more top talent. Organisers said KSI proved enormously popular with viewers during his guest appearances.
Fans shared mixed emotions around the switch: many expressed sadness at Bruno's departure while others welcomed KSI's arrival, posting messages such as "Can't wait to see you as a judge!" and "Can't wait, so excited already!"
First-episode fallout and the golden buzzer debate
Minutes into the first episode on February 21, many viewers voiced the same complaint: they feared the coveted golden buzzer was being overused. At the start of the show Ant and Dec reminded the audience that a golden buzzer can send a contestant straight through to the live semi-finals. Fans responded that the buzzer seemed to be overused despite judges traditionally being allowed just one golden buzzer each: comments included "We don’t need to see the golden buzzer, " "I wonder how many Golden Buzzers we'll get this year?" and jokingly "9 to my knowledge. " Another viewer wrote: "Ditch the overused golden buzzer, overproduction, sob stories & the already successful 'testing their luck'. "
Simon Cowell, the chief judge, was the first to press the buzzer last year. The 66-year-old judge and media tycoon has faced a series of health challenges: he survived a near-fatal bike accident that left him questioning whether he would be able to walk again, and last year he missed some auditions after falling down stairs and sustaining a head injury. When Simon was absent, Stacey Solomon stepped in as a substitute and Amanda Holden assumed the role of chief judge. Amanda said of sitting in the chief seat: "I must admit I hated sitting in that seat, " adding she felt outcast and vulnerable without a fellow judge on either side. She recounted that Simon asked her, "You must have loved it. Did you feel powerful?" and that she replied she hated it because she had to keep leaning in to be part of the conversation. Amanda praised Stacey for bringing warmth to the panel and pointed to Stacey's past experience auditioning for The X Factor in 2009 as relevant to her judging style.