Prince Andrew arrested and released under investigation as police search Royal Lodge
prince andrew was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office and released under investigation after 11 hours on Thursday night,, as unmarked police cars continued searches at Royal Lodge.
Prince Andrew released after 11 hours in custody
The former prince was held for 11 hours before being released under investigation, a status that allows him to travel freely; he was later pictured returning to the Sandringham Estate. Thames Valley Police said they were assessing a complaint that centers on the alleged sharing of confidential material with the late sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Police search at Royal Lodge continues
Officers returned to Royal Lodge for a second day, with more unmarked police cars arriving and officers pictured near the property, while activity around Royal Lodge continued through the morning. Local residents and a business owner noted visible police presence in the area.
Investigation focuses on Epstein files and trade envoy activity
The arrest is tied to allegations involving material from the large cache of documents known as the Epstein files; the files contain millions of pages, and the inquiry was not related to Virginia Giuffre. The matter under review concerns activities while Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor served as a trade envoy, and investigators may seek communications and documents beyond what has already been published.
Buckingham Palace said it would support Thames Valley Police in their inquiries, a move that could include police requests for evidence or communications held at royal residences. The King said he learned of the arrest "with the deepest concern, " and has urged that the legal process follow its course; a separate statement from the Palace expressed that the law must take its course.
In the United States, commentators contrasted the U. K. action with how allegations tied to Epstein have been handled there. Asked about the former prince’s arrest on Feb. 19, the U. S. president told reporters, "I'm the expert in a way because I've been totally exonerated. That's very nice. I can actually speak about it very nicely. I think it's a shame. " The remark was described in coverage of the reaction as false.
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has previously denied wrongdoing in relation to Epstein and has not responded to requests for comment on the specific allegations connected to the release of the Epstein files in January. Authorities have emphasized that the investigation is focused on alleged misconduct in public office tied to document sharing and activities while he acted in an official trade role.
Thames Valley Police continue their inquiries and searches at properties connected to the former prince, and Royal officials have indicated cooperation with those efforts. For now, Andrew remains released under investigation while police follow the complaint and assess any further evidence they obtain.