benfica vs real madrid: Mourinho criticised for reaction after Vinicius Junior alleges racist abuse
Real Madrid's trip to Lisbon on Tuesday was overshadowed by allegations of racial abuse when Vinicius Junior told the referee he had been targeted by a Benfica player, leading to a stoppage of around ten minutes. The incident has sparked an immediate and heated reaction: the player who was accused has denied the claim, Benfica issued brief and later fuller statements that described a "defamation campaign, " and coach Jose Mourinho has faced sharp criticism for his public comments.
What happened in Lisbon
The Champions League knockout play-off first leg was halted early in the second half after the Real Madrid forward informed the referee he had been racially abused during an on-field confrontation. The stoppage followed protocols intended to address discriminatory behaviour and lasted roughly ten minutes before play resumed. The match finished 1-0 to Real Madrid.
The Benfica player named in the exchange has rejected the allegation in a social media statement, saying his words had been "misinterpreted. " Benfica initially published a 21-word message at 02: 11 GMT (9: 11 p. m. ET) that did not engage with the details of the allegation, and later released a longer statement asserting that the player was the subject of a defamation campaign. UEFA has opened an ethics and disciplinary investigation into the matter, and regulations mean any player found guilty of racist conduct faces a suspension of at least 10 matches.
Reaction, criticism and the wider fallout
Vinicius issued a social media message calling racists "cowards" and describing the episode as sadly familiar. The Brazilian Football Confederation publicly backed him, praising his decision to activate the anti-discrimination protocol and calling racism a crime that must be eradicated from football and society.
Benfica's handling of the incident has drawn criticism. An anti-racism organisation criticised the club's initial response as inadequate, while several former players and pundits condemned the tone of Benfica's longer statement that framed the case as a defamation campaign against its player. One former defender called the club's reaction "not good, " questioning why the player involved felt the need to hide his mouth with his shirt if there were no grounds for concern.
Jose Mourinho has been singled out for comment. He suggested that celebrations can provoke reactions and questioned whether the forward had "incited" the home crowd and players. Those remarks have been labelled by some as downplaying the seriousness of the allegation and amounting to gaslighting. A former top-flight referee also attracted criticism for comments suggesting the situation complicated the referee's task.
Next steps and what to expect
UEFA's investigation is expected to take several weeks rather than days, and that timing means the accused player could remain available for selection for the second leg on February 25 (ET). The governing body's probe will need to establish what was said, by whom, and whether any disciplinary action is warranted under the anti-discrimination rules that carry heavy minimum bans for confirmed racist conduct.
Beyond the formal inquiry, the episode has reignited longstanding debates about how clubs, managers and governing bodies respond when allegations of racism surface during high-profile matches. With strong statements of support for the accused player and for Vinicius from different corners, the coming weeks will test procedures meant to protect players and the credibility of football’s anti-racism rules.