rhode island shooting: Police respond to late-night incident; investigation underway

rhode island shooting: Police respond to late-night incident; investigation underway

Providence, R. I. — Emergency crews and local law enforcement were on the scene late Tuesday after a rhode island shooting that sent multiple people to hospitals and prompted a large-scale investigation. Police said the incident unfolded around 9: 30 p. m. ET on Feb. 17, 2026; neighborhoods near the scene remained closed to traffic as detectives processed evidence into the early morning.

Scene and emergency response

Officers arrived within minutes of initial calls and found several victims at the location. Police established a perimeter, and multiple ambulances transported injured people to nearby trauma centers. Fire and medical personnel worked together to stabilize victims before they were taken to hospitals.

Investigators combed the area for shell casings and surveillance footage while uniformed officers canvassed for witnesses. A person of interest was detained at the scene,, and authorities are treating the matter as an active criminal investigation. No formal charges had been announced as of early Wednesday morning ET.

Local transit and road crews rerouted traffic around the scene. Law enforcement asked residents to avoid the area to allow first responders and crime-scene technicians to work. Several nearby businesses and homes were temporarily evacuated while officers searched for additional evidence and potential threats.

Victim updates and investigatory steps

Police characterized the incident as an isolated act and said they have not identified a broader threat to public safety. The exact number of victims has not been released; they will provide updates as hospitals complete patient notifications and investigators verify injuries.

Detectives are reviewing video from private cameras and nearby surveillance systems and interviewing witnesses who were in the area at the time. Ballistics teams and forensic investigators collected material evidence at the scene and transported it to labs for analysis. Authorities said they would release more details, including a timeline and motive if and when verified information becomes available.

Officials urged anyone with footage or information to come forward. Tips and digital evidence can be crucial in reconstructing events that led to the shooting. Police also noted that witness accounts can vary and asked the public to allow investigators to corroborate statements before drawing conclusions.

Community reaction and next steps

Residents expressed shock and concern after the incident. Neighborhood leaders called for calm and said they were coordinating with city officials to ensure support for those affected. A local community center opened its doors to residents seeking information and immediate assistance, including counseling resources for witnesses and family members.

Schools and certain businesses in the immediate vicinity enacted precautionary measures overnight, with some remaining on modified schedules Wednesday morning. City they would work with law enforcement to assess safety protocols and consider additional measures if needed.

The mayor's office said it was monitoring the situation and pledged to share verified information as investigations progress. Leaders also encouraged residents to rely on official updates rather than rumors circulating on social media.

Investigators are continuing their work and plan further announcements as they confirm details. Police asked anyone who was in the area around 9: 15–9: 45 p. m. ET and who may have seen unusual activity to contact investigators. Community leaders said they will organize a public briefing once authorities have cleared the scene and verified next steps.

Filmogaz will update this developing story when officials release additional verified details.