Three dead, including suspect, after Rhode Island shooting at youth hockey game

Three dead, including suspect, after Rhode Island shooting at youth hockey game

Pawtucket, R. I. — Three people, including the person believed to have opened fire, were killed during a youth hockey event Monday at Dennis M. Lynch Arena in Pawtucket. Several other attendees were struck and three remained hospitalized in critical condition, police said.

Scene and response

Emergency crews and law enforcement converged on the arena after gunshots rang out inside the venue, where youth teams and families had gathered for a scheduled game. Witness video circulating shows players diving for cover and spectators fleeing seats as loud pops were heard. Outside, tearful relatives and teens still in uniforms embraced while buses awaited to transport teams away from the scene.

Pawtucket police closed roads near the arena and maintained a heavy presence as investigators canvassed the building and reviewed footage from the event. Helicopters were observed overhead during the initial response. First responders transported multiple victims to area hospitals; three were reported in critical condition, and authorities later said the shooter had died from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound. Police emphasized they were not involved in the shooter’s death but continued to investigate the circumstances.

Victims, suspect and investigation

Police indicated the deaths included the suspect and at least two other people. The chief of police, Tina Goncalves, said it appeared the incident may have been targeted and possibly stemmed from a family dispute. She noted that the victims who were killed appeared to be adults, though she did not release specific ages or the identities of those involved as the investigation remained active.

Investigators have been interviewing witnesses who were inside the arena and reviewing game video and security footage to piece together a timeline and motive. Teams from nearby jurisdictions assisted on scene, and school officials worked with officers to account for student-athletes who had been present. One school district confirmed that all students from its boys hockey team who were at the arena had been accounted for and were safe; staff and a local officer remained with the group while authorities coordinated reunification and transportation.

Officials declined to provide a detailed timeline or further identifying information while forensic and witness work continued. The community was urged to avoid speculation as investigators followed leads and processed evidence.

Community impact and context

Mayor Don Grebien called the shooting tragic and noted the event involved high school-aged players and families gathered for a routine sporting event. He stressed the fortunate fact that investigators had confirmed the incident was not connected to an earlier campus shooting in the state, but said the pain of two recent mass-fatality incidents has been compounded for local residents.

Local schools and youth organizations mobilized support for affected families, offering counseling and assistance for students who witnessed the violence. Law enforcement leaders urged anyone with video or firsthand information that could aid the investigation to come forward to detectives handling the case.

This remains an active and developing investigation. Authorities continue to review physical evidence and interview witnesses to determine motive and whether additional charges or actions will follow as more details become available.