Hillary Clinton accuses Trump administration of Epstein files cover-up
Hillary Clinton on Monday accused the current administration of carrying out a "cover-up" in its handling of files tied to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, demanding the release of material she says is being "slow-walked. " Speaking from Berlin at the annual World Forum, the former secretary of state pushed for full transparency as she and her husband prepare to testify before a congressional committee later this month.
Clinton pushes for full release: "Get the files out"
Clinton used strong language in calling for the unredacted release of millions of documents that prosecutors say relate to investigations of Epstein. "Get the files out. They are slow-walking it, " she said, framing the issue as one that goes to victims' rights and public accountability. She has also previously described the files as "horrifying, " and urged that anything relevant be made public so people can see what is in them and, when appropriate, pursue accountability.
The former first lady and secretary of state reiterated that she and her husband will comply with the committee's request for testimony but pressed for a public forum rather than private deposition. "We will show up but we think it would be better to have it in public, " she said, arguing that closed-door sessions would not satisfy calls for openness and that the couple had become a "shiny object" used to deflect attention from broader questions about the files.
Justice Department stance and presidential response
The Department of Justice has said it has released all materials required by the Epstein Files Transparency Act, the law passed last year that mandated the disclosure of certain records. Some lawmakers, however, have declared the release incomplete, calling for additional internal memos and documentation that could shed light on past charging decisions and prosecutorial choices.
President Trump has pushed back against allegations of wrongdoing tied to the files, insisting the documents have "exonerated" him and accusing critics of partisan motives. He has also suggested the same material has implicated prominent Democrats. The administration maintains that steps taken to release documents have done more for victims than prior efforts, framing the matter as one of compliance with the new law.
Congressional clash and what comes next
The Clintons are slated to appear before the House Oversight Committee later this month: Hillary Clinton is set to testify on February 26 (ET) and Bill Clinton on February 27 (ET). A planned contempt vote over the couple's initial refusal to comply with subpoenas was shelved once they agreed to appear. Their testimony will mark the first time a former US president has given evidence to a congressional panel since Gerald Ford in 1983.
Bill Clinton appears multiple times in the released material and has long acknowledged an acquaintance with Epstein, saying that contact ceased decades ago. Neither Clinton has been accused by survivors of Epstein's abuse of wrongdoing, and both deny contemporaneous knowledge of his crimes.
The wider probe continues to implicate other high-profile figures. The committee has sought testimony from a range of individuals mentioned in the files, including a former prince who reached an out-of-court settlement with a prominent accuser in 2022 and who has repeatedly denied wrongdoing. That accuser later died by suicide in 2025, a development that has intensified calls from some quarters for additional transparency and accountability.
Republican committee leadership has accused the Clintons of delay, while some lawmakers who co-wrote the disclosure law have pressed for more complete internal records from the Justice Department. With the hearings days away, the dispute over what more the government should release is likely to remain a central flashpoint — with victims' advocates and critics of the administration each framing the stakes in starkly different terms.