Tsa Precheck and Global Entry suspended as DHS pauses tsa precheck programs amid shutdown and blizzard
The Department of Homeland Security has suspended the tsa precheck and Global Entry airport security programs from early Sunday, a move tied to a partial government shutdown that began on 14 February. The suspension — timed as a north-east blizzard approaches — threatens to slow travel at US airports and complicate plans for passengers.
Tsa Precheck and Global Entry paused by DHS and what
The DHS suspension covers both the TSA PreCheck and Global Entry programs, which give approved participants a fast-track through bag check and passport control. Homeland security secretary Kristi Noem said that "shutdowns have serious real world consequences" and that "TSA and Customs and Border Protection (CBP) are prioritizing the general traveling population at our airports and ports of entry and suspending courtesy and special privilege escorts. " The department began the suspension from early Sunday.
How tsa precheck lanes and Global Entry streamline airport processing
TSA’s PreCheck program allows approved passengers through a faster security lane at US airports and is designed to reduce wait times. Global Entry expedites US customs and immigration clearance for pre-approved, low-risk international travelers entering the US, together speeding security lines and making travel slicker for many passengers.
Airlines push back over short notice; Chris Sununu’s comments
Some US airlines criticized DHS for giving travelers scant warning of the temporary suspension. "Airlines for America is deeply concerned that... the traveling public will be, once again, used as a political football amid another government shutdown, " said Chris Sununu, the chief executive for the trade association and the former Republican governor of New Hampshire. He said news of the suspensions came at "extremely short notice to travelers, giving them little time to plan accordingly, " and urged Congress to "get a deal done. " Sununu added that a similar shutdown last year caused losses of more than $6bn across the travel industry and related sectors.
Shutdown origins: funding fight, immigration demands and enforcement controversies
The partial government shutdown began on 14 February after Democrats and the White House were unable to reach a deal on legislation to fund DHS. Democrats have been demanding changes to immigration operations that are described in the context as core to Donald Trump’s aggressive mass deportation campaign. The department was given an enormous funding windfall in legislation last year, but its key enforcement agencies, Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and border patrol, have created a storm of controversy as they have cracked down violently on enforcement and protests in several Democratic-run cities over the last year.
Minneapolis killings, political fallout and Democratic criticism of the pause
The enforcement controversies culminated, most dramatically, in two US citizens who were protesting an especially intense crackdown in Minneapolis last month being shot dead. Trump administration leaders quickly heaped criticism on the victims while defending the federal officers. Those killings prompted a national backlash and a partial retreat by the White House, and they helped drive Democrats to lead a block on funding for DHS pending reform — a block that has led to the ongoing partial government shutdown. Democrats on the House committee on homeland security criticized the decision to pause airport programs, saying on social media the administration was "kneecapping the programs that make travel smoother and secure" and accusing officials of "ruining your travel on purpose. " The suspension from early Sunday was predicted to cause headaches for passengers, compounded in the north-east by an incoming blizzard.