Homeland Security to Suspend Tsa Precheck and Global Entry as Partial Shutdown Continues
The Department of Homeland Security is suspending the Tsa Precheck and Global Entry airport security programs as a partial government shutdown continues, a move that could slow screening for registered travelers and add strain to airports. The suspensions are scheduled to begin from 6am ET on Sunday, as noted in recent coverage, and officials say the decision is a consequence of the funding lapse.
Why DHS is suspending Tsa Precheck and Global Entry
The homeland security secretary, Kristi Noem, said that "shutdowns have serious real world consequences" and added that "TSA and Customs and Border Protection (CBP) are prioritizing the general traveling population at our airports and ports of entry and suspending courtesy and special privilege escorts. " The department framed the change as a prioritization of broader traveler processing during the shutdown.
How Tsa Precheck and Global Entry function — and what’s changing
Tsa Precheck allows approved passengers through a faster security lane at US airports and is designed to reduce wait times. Global Entry expedites US customs and immigration clearance for pre-approved, low-risk international travelers entering the US. With the suspension of both programs, registered travelers who typically use expedited lanes and customs processing should expect different procedures and potentially longer lines.
Airlines and industry reaction
Some US airlines criticized the department for giving travelers scant warning of the temporary suspension. The chief executive of a major airline trade association, Chris Sununu, said, "Airlines for America is deeply concerned that... the traveling public will be, once again, used as a political football amid another government shutdown. " He added that the news of the suspensions came at "extremely short notice to travelers, giving them little time to plan accordingly, " and urged Congress to "get a deal done. " Sununu also noted that a similar shutdown last year caused losses of $6. 1bn across the travel industry and related sectors.
Lawmakers weigh in and political context
The partial government shutdown began on 14 February after Democrats and the White House were unable to reach a deal on legislation to fund the Department of Homeland Security. Democrats have been demanding changes to immigration operations that are described as core to President Donald Trump’s deportation campaign. Members of the House Committee on Homeland Security criticized the suspension on social media, saying the administration was "kneecapping the programs that make travel smoother and secure" and accusing the government of "ruining your travel on purpose. "
Related operational impacts beyond airports
On Thursday, the Trump administration ordered the Federal Emergency Management Agency, a component of DHS, to suspend the deployment of hundreds of aid workers to disaster-affected areas due to the DHS shutdown. That pause in disaster response personnel was cited alongside the airport-program suspensions as an example of wider consequences of the funding lapse.
What travelers should know and how the public can respond
Travelers who normally rely on Tsa Precheck or Global Entry should expect changes at checkpoints and customs processing beginning at 6am ET on Sunday. The suspension could cause longer waits and require additional planning for flights and international arrivals. Industry leaders have urged Congress to reach a funding agreement to restore the programs.
The article also invited readers to share first-hand accounts confidentially, noting that the newsroom offers a secure mobile-app messaging tool and an online guide for submitting tips. Recent developments remain fluid and details may evolve as the funding impasse continues.