Frank Martin Doubts Nahir Albright Will Stand And Trade at 140

Frank Martin Doubts Nahir Albright Will Stand And Trade at 140

frank martin says early pressure and sharper timing will determine whether Nahir Albright stays planted in the pocket when punches start landing, a test that comes Saturday at 6: 00 p. m. ET on DAZN pay-per-view.

Martin eyes redemption after a knockout loss and a comeback KO

Martin, 31, enters the fight having been knocked out by Gervonta “Tank” Davis in 2024 and returning nearly 18 months later to stop Rances Barthelemy. He will be cornered by International Boxing Hall of Famer Buddy McGirt for the scheduled junior welterweight bout. One preview lists Martin at 19-1 (13 KOs); another lists him as 19-1-13.

Frank Martin doubts Albright will stand and trade

At the final press conference Martin said, “We going to see, once I get to touching on him. You might have to move around a lot. It’s a big ring. It’s perfect for you, ” arguing that early contact will force Albright off his spot. Albright pushed back on the microphone, saying, “We can do it whatever way. Anyway. Let’s do it. I can stay in the pocket with you. I can box. ”

How Martin plans to shape the fight at 140

Martin says the weight sits better for him at 140 pounds, adding, “I feel a lot stronger at 140, ” and that he has more snap, better legs and a stronger base when he sets his feet. He believes stepping in behind the jab, touching the body and stepping through punches will make the ring look bigger to Albright. In a ten-round fight where pace and conditioning get tested after the fourth, Martin argues that setting his feet and punching with authority can break an opponent’s posture.

Albright’s June win, the card’s stakes and the wider 140lbs picture

Albright’s June victory over Kelvin Davis sparked a backstage physical altercation; Kelvin is the brother of Keyshawn Davis. Keyshawn has said he would like a crack at Albright, and Martin — who attended Keyshawn Davis’ win over Jamaine Ortiz at Madison Square Garden last month — suggested a Martin win could make him the choice for a future matchup, saying, “By the end of the year, it can happen – but it has to be for something. For a title. ”

McGirt’s message and the card around them

McGirt, who fought an 80-fight career over 15 years, lost his 140-pound belt to Meldrick Taylor, then won 17 consecutive fights and captured the WBC welterweight title three years later; he later lost twice to Pernell Whitaker but remained active and victorious. McGirt told Martin he shared his story “to make him understand that when you suffer a loss, what determines who you are is how you come back from it. ”

The fight sits on a DAZN pay-per-view card headlined by Mario Barrios defending the WBC welterweight title versus Ryan Garcia; 140-pound titlists Richardson Hitchins (IBF) and Gary Antuanne Russell (WBA) also appear on the card. Martin is ranked No. 7 by the WBA behind stablemate Russell and said he would most like to fight Richardson Hitchins, who will defend his belt against third-ranked Oscar Duarte.

Commentary ahead of the fight has warned that “the pocket is different once leather starts landing clean, ” and previews note that if Martin’s power carries at 140 the way he believes it does, Albright could be the one forced to cover real estate by the middle rounds. This fight will show whether Albright can hold ground once Martin starts stepping through his punches.

The bout is scheduled for Saturday at 6: 00 p. m. ET (local start 6: 00 p. m.; UK: 11: 00 p. m. ) on DAZN pay-per-view. Recovery, rankings movement and any next title opportunities will depend on the result that night.