benfica vs real madrid: Mourinho criticised for reaction to Vinicius Junior abuse claims
Real Madrid's Champions League first-leg in Lisbon was interrupted after forward Vinicius Junior told match officials he had been racially abused by a Benfica player. The incident has sparked an immediate and heated backlash against Benfica's handling of the allegation and the comments of their manager, Jose Mourinho.
Match halted as Vinicius activates anti-racism protocol
The contest was stopped for around 10–11 minutes after Vinicius informed the referee he had been targeted by an opposing player following his goal celebration. Play was suspended while the official used the anti-discrimination process, and the teams and officials worked to calm tensions on the pitch. The player accused of the slur has denied the allegation and has said the words were misheard.
Vinicius later described the episode as another instance of racism he has suffered and called out the cowardice of such behaviour in a social media post. Teammates and others present at the match said they heard the exchange, and some visiting players threatened to leave the field in protest before play resumed.
Backlash grows over Benfica responses and Mourinho comments
Benfica initially issued a very brief, 21-word statement late in the evening at 9: 11 PM ET that dismissed the allegations, and then followed with a longer statement framing the accusation as part of a "defamation campaign" against their player. That defensive posture has been criticised by anti-discrimination campaigners and former players who say the club should have engaged more constructively with the allegation.
Manager Jose Mourinho drew particular ire after remarks in the post-match build-up that many viewed as downplaying the incident. He questioned whether the celebration had provoked a reaction and suggested he did not want to comment directly on the exchanged words. High-profile pundits and ex-professionals have described the tone of those comments as evasive and damaging, arguing that a stronger condemnation of racist conduct would have been appropriate.
Former referees and pundits have also weighed in on match officiating and protocol usage. One ex-official criticised how the on-field situation was handled and suggested the complaint complicated the referee’s decision-making. Other commentators were more forthright, labelling the club responses inadequate and arguing institutions must prioritise clarity and support for players who report discrimination.
UEFA probe, potential sanctions and wider reactions
UEFA has opened an ethics and disciplinary investigation into the allegations and has appointed an inspector to examine the events. Regulations state that a player found guilty of racist conduct faces a minimum suspension of 10 matches, meaning any disciplinary process could carry significant consequences if the claim is substantiated. The investigative timeline is expected to extend over weeks rather than days, so the accused player may still be available for the second leg in Madrid on February 25.
Brazil’s football federation issued a message of support for Vinicius, praising his decision to trigger the anti-racism protocol and stressing a firm stance against discrimination. Campaign groups dedicated to tackling racism in sport have publicly criticised Benfica’s initial responses and urged transparency from all parties while the case is examined.
As the probe proceeds, the incident has reignited wider debate about how clubs, managers and governing bodies respond when allegations of racial abuse arise in high-profile fixtures. With the investigation underway, attention will shift to formal findings, any disciplinary measures, and whether the episode prompts clearer, stronger protocols across the game.