shia labeouf arrested on battery charges in New Orleans amid Mardi Gras

shia labeouf arrested on battery charges in New Orleans amid Mardi Gras

Actor Shia LaBeouf was arrested early Tuesday after police say he assaulted two men at bars in the Faubourg Marigny neighborhood during Mardi Gras celebrations. The New Orleans Police Department says officers were called to the area at approximately 1: 45 a. m. ET, and the actor was later charged with two counts of simple battery.

Arrest and alleged assaults

Police say officers responded to a disturbance at a Royal Street business after staff reported a patron becoming increasingly aggressive. Court documents state that when bar staff attempted to escort LaBeouf out of the establishment he allegedly tried to strike a manager. After being removed, the documents say, he allegedly punched a male patron who had come to the manager's aid and later returned to strike a second man in the nose.

Bystanders restrained LaBeouf until police arrived. He was taken to a hospital for evaluation and treatment of injuries, then discharged and booked on two counts of simple battery. He was released on his own recognizance later that day and was seen back on Bourbon Street dancing with his release paperwork, eyewitness accounts.

Mardi Gras bar crawl and witness accounts

Witnesses and employees at several New Orleans bars described an extended period of boisterous behavior from the actor in the run-up to Fat Tuesday. Staff at multiple establishments said LaBeouf had been visiting bars across the city for several days, at times appearing belligerent and at other times amenable to photos and conversation. One doorman described an episode in which LaBeouf purportedly invoked his celebrity, while other staff said he attempted to get behind bars and serve drinks.

The accounts portray a mixed picture: several employees recalled cordial interactions earlier in the weekend, while others characterized later encounters as unruly. On the night of the arrests, a crowd gathered outside the Royal Street business, and bartenders and security personnel said LaBeouf would not be welcome back following his release from custody.

Legal history and next steps

The battery charges are the most recent entry in a public record that includes past struggles LaBeouf has described in relation to sobriety and court-ordered treatment following previous arrests. He has also faced civil litigation in which a former partner alleged abuse in incidents she described as prolonged; that matter was settled in July 2025. LaBeouf has denied wrongdoing in those prior allegations.

LaBeouf's next court appearance in the New Orleans battery case is tentatively scheduled for March 19. Court filings outline the two simple-battery counts but offer limited detail beyond the immediate events inside and outside the bar. Law enforcement officials say the investigation remains focused on the incidents from the early-morning disturbance, and that witnesses and staff at the venues have provided statements to investigators.

Representatives for LaBeouf have not provided a public comment. The actor, who rose to fame as a child performer and later starred in major studio films as well as independent projects, remains a high-profile figure whose off-screen conduct has drawn repeated scrutiny. For now, the case will proceed through the local court system, where the pending charges carry potential penalties under state law if convictions are obtained.