Shia LaBeouf arrested on battery charges in New Orleans during Mardi Gras
shia labeouf was arrested early Tuesday after an altercation at a bar in New Orleans’s Faubourg Marigny neighborhood during the height of Mardi Gras celebrations. The actor faces two counts of simple battery and is set to make an initial court appearance Tuesday afternoon ET.
Arrest and alleged assaults
The New Orleans Police Department said officers were called at 12: 45 a. m. ET on Tuesday to a Royal Street business where staff reported a disturbance. Court documents state that staff attempted to remove the 39-year-old actor from the premises after he was becoming increasingly aggressive. While being escorted out, the actor allegedly attempted to strike a manager. After being removed, he is accused of striking a patron who had intervened, then returning and punching a second man in the nose.
Bystanders restrained the actor until police arrived. He was taken to a hospital for treatment of unspecified injuries, discharged, then arrested and charged with two counts of simple battery. He is scheduled to appear in court Tuesday afternoon ET. Thousands of revelers gathered in and around the establishment later the same day, and staff at the bar indicated he was not welcome back after his release from custody.
Weekend bar crawl and eyewitness accounts
Multiple accounts from nightlife workers and patrons portray an extended series of encounters across the city in the days leading up to the arrest. Staff at several Uptown and French Quarter-area bars described interactions in which the actor was at times convivial and at other times belligerent. One doorman described an exchange in which the actor adopted a familiar celebrity posture and asked whether people recognized him, while other employees said he was asked to leave after attempting to get behind a bar and serve drinks.
A video that circulated online showed the actor shirtless and arguing with another person before paramedics attended to him. Witnesses also described episodes earlier in the weekend in which the actor was loud and insistent, at times posing for photos and at other times clashing with staff. Managers and bartenders who encountered him in different venues gave mixed accounts: some said he had been friendly on one night and disruptive on another.
Past struggles and legal history
The actor has previously spoken about struggles with sobriety and has credited peers in the industry with supporting his recovery. He entered court-mandated rehabilitation following a 2017 arrest in Georgia, an experience that informed his semi-autobiographical film Honey Boy.
In 2020, a former partner filed a lawsuit alleging sexual battery and emotional abuse; the actor denied the allegations. That matter was settled in July 2025. His legal and personal history has been part of public discussion in recent years, and the latest arrest adds another chapter to a widely observed pattern of headlines and court matters.
Law enforcement has charged him with two counts of simple battery; further developments are expected when he appears in court Tuesday afternoon ET.