Tyson Fury to Return on April 11 (ET) — Will Run Comeback Camp Without a Trainer or Nutritionist
Tyson Fury has confirmed he will come out of retirement on April 11 (ET) to face Arslanbek Makhmudov at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in London — and says he will undertake the entire training camp himself. The two-time world heavyweight champion insisted he does not need a trainer, nutritionist or a raft of specialist coaches and vowed to press on with plans to regain a world title and push for a trilogy with Oleksandr Usyk.
Fury says he will "do it all" — minimal corner role planned
Fury stated he will not employ the usual complement of backroom staff for his comeback. "I don't need a trainer, I don't need a nutritionist, I don't need a mind coach, I don't need a sleep coach and I definitely don't need a strength coach, " he said, insisting the only corner duties he values are the basics between rounds: a mouthguard clean, water and a smear of Vaseline.
The 37-year-old has worked with American coach SugarHill Steward since 2019, a partnership that helped him reclaim the WBC world title and that continued through two defeats by Oleksandr Usyk. Fury's decision to step back into camp largely solo marks a striking break from that setup. He acknowledged his age and recent inactivity — he has been out of the ring for roughly 15–16 months — but framed the move as a personal challenge and an assertion of self-reliance.
At his first news conference since announcing the return, Fury appeared in lively form, clowning at the face-off with Makhmudov and telling those present he wants to "make boxing great again. " He dismissed doubts about ticket sales for the event and underlined his belief that he brings an unmatched entertainment factor to the sport.
Trilogy ambition with Usyk and wider motivations
Beyond the immediate task of Makhmudov, Fury made clear he intends to force his way back toward the top of the heavyweight scene. He predicted Oleksandr Usyk will be "begging" for a trilogy by the end of the year and declared: "With or without belts, I'm still the man. " Fury acknowledges the defeats to Usyk but insists he remains the biggest attraction in the division and will seek another shot at the title during this comeback.
Makhmudov presents a genuine test — a big, dangerous opponent with a respectable world standing — and Fury said beating him would be a key step toward the larger fights he covets. The fight on April 11 (ET) will be a significant first measure of where Fury stands after his time away.
Personal reasons for returning and what’s next
Fury also described a deeply personal motive for his comeback: the deaths of close friends of fellow heavyweight Anthony Joshua in a car crash late last year. Fury said that tragedy crystallised for him how fragile life is and prompted a decision to stop postponing the things he loves. "Tomorrow ain't promised, " he said, adding that he returned to boxing because it is his passion and because life can change in an instant.
Fury's professional ledger was highlighted during his announcement: the 37-year-old holds 34 wins in 37 professional fights, including one draw. He retired after back-to-back defeats to Usyk but has now reversed that decision, laying out a route that mixes showmanship with serious ambition. If he wins on April 11 (ET) and runs the comeback camp on his own terms, Fury will be setting up a summer and autumn in which the heavyweight picture could shift dramatically — and a possible trilogy with Usyk would be the defining storyline.
For now, Fury's immediate focus is clear: take care of the basics in the corner, handle the rest himself in camp, and start the comeback with a statement win at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on April 11 (ET).