Tyson Fury to Return April 11 (ET) Without Trainer or Nutritionist for Comeback Bout

Tyson Fury to Return April 11 (ET) Without Trainer or Nutritionist for Comeback Bout

Tyson Fury has declared he will go it alone for his comeback fight on April 11 (ET), saying he will not employ a trainer, nutritionist or other customary support staff as he prepares to face Arslanbek Makhmudov at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium. The 37-year-old, who retired in January 2025 with a record of 34 wins in 37 fights, says he only wants corner basics on fight night and will manage the rest himself.

Fury insists he will go it alone

Fury confirmed that American coach SugarHill Steward — who has worked with him since 2019 and guided him back to the WBC title — will not be part of his comeback camp. In a podcast interview with Steve Bunce, Fury said he will "do it all" and listed the personnel he does not intend to use: trainer, nutritionist, mind coach, sleep coach and strength coach. He added that all he needs in the corner is someone to rinse his gumshield, hand him water between rounds and apply Vaseline around the eyes.

The statement marks a sharp break from modern elite fight preparation, where multi-disciplinary teams manage every aspect of a fighter’s training and recovery. Fury framed his approach as a return to a more singular, self-directed model, saying he brings the showmanship and the skills and will leave the rest to himself.

Motivations for the comeback and immediate goals

Fury ended a year out of the ring last month and will face Makhmudov on April 11 (ET). He cited several motivations for returning, most poignantly the recent tragedy that affected a fellow British heavyweight, which prompted him to reassess life and opportunity. Fury spoke of the fragility of life and the need to act while one still can, saying that realising tomorrow is not guaranteed helped steel his resolve to box again.

At his first press conference since announcing the return, Fury appeared in lively form: he teased his opponent during a face-off and vowed to "make boxing great again. " He insists the comeback is not merely a one-off spectacle. Fury has publicly set his sights on winning another world title and believes a victory over Makhmudov — a highly ranked, powerful opponent — would put him back on track for bigger fights, including a potential trilogy with Oleksandr Usyk later this year.

Fury has already acknowledged the losses to Usyk that preceded his brief retirement, but he remains bullish about his standing in the heavyweight division, saying that even without belts he is "still the man. " He also dismissed concerns about the commercial pull of the event, insisting ticket sales will not be a problem.

What this means for the heavyweight landscape

Fury’s decision to eschew a full support team is notable for a fighter who has repeatedly reinvented himself. Having returned from longer absences before — including a period out of the sport in his twenties tied to a ban and mental health struggles — Fury reminded observers he has navigated significant setbacks and returns, including a dramatic weight loss and a run back to a world title in 2020.

For the division, Fury’s comeback immediately reshapes the calendar and the market. A win would reinsert him into title contention and ramp up speculation about a high-stakes meeting with Usyk. A loss, conversely, would close another chapter in a career that has seen both triumphant highs and contentious defeats. Either way, Fury’s unconventional approach to this camp and his vocal ambitions promise more headlines as April 11 (ET) approaches.