Ricky Morton Passes on Another Match with ric flair, Citing Respect for Final Moment

Ricky Morton Passes on Another Match with ric flair, Citing Respect for Final Moment

Ricky Morton has shot down the idea of stepping back into the ring for another encounter with ric flair, saying the pair’s previous meeting should remain a standalone moment. Morton made his position clear on social media on Feb. 14, 2026 (ET), turning down talk of a fresh “last match” while leaving the door ajar only under very specific conditions.

Morton: some moments don’t need a sequel

Morton’s message was emphatic and reverent. He said that although the notion of another match with ric flair sounded “cool and exciting, ” he would pass because Flair has already had his final advertised match. Morton framed the decision as one of respect: certain moments, he wrote, should be remembered and celebrated rather than revisited with a sequel.

He reminded fans that he was part of Flair’s last advertised outing, describing it as an honor and suggesting that repeating that farewell would lessen its meaning. That match—advertised as Flair’s last—stood as a closing chapter in the veteran’s career, and Morton argued those chapters deserve preservation rather than replication.

Conditions and practicality: on Morton's terms

Morton did not completely rule out a future in-ring meeting, but he made clear any such match would be conditional and would have to happen under his terms. He specifically cited two promotions as acceptable venues, indicating he would not participate unless the bout occurred where he felt comfortable and in a context he controlled.

Their ages and physical condition add a pragmatic layer to the discussion. Flair is in his mid-70s and Morton is approaching 70, yet Morton remains active on the independent scene and continues to log a significant number of matches each year. Even so, Morton framed the exchange as more than a business transaction: it’s a matter of legacy preservation.

Flair’s retirement stance and what it means

Flair had recently said he had been offered a match with Morton but that the financial terms were not acceptable; he later reaffirmed that he would not wrestle again. Morton’s public refusal underlines a shared tilt toward finality, at least in spirit, from both men. Whether that finality is permanent is a matter fans will continue to speculate about, but for now the message from Morton is clear—some farewells should remain intact.

For wrestling’s audience, the exchange highlights a broader tension between nostalgia-driven booking and the need to protect wrestlers’ legacies and health. Conversations about “one more match” often generate excitement and headlines, but Morton’s stance is a reminder that not every reunion or rematch serves the careers or reputations involved.

Legacy over encore

Morton’s choice to publicly decline the idea reframes the debate: it’s not merely about money or spectacle, but about how iconic moments are stored in memory. By urging fans to respect and remember Flair’s last advertised match, Morton positioned himself as a steward of wrestling history, preferring preservation to repetition.

At a time when nostalgia plays heavily in booking decisions, Morton’s statement underscores an important counterpoint. For now, ric flair’s last advertised outing remains a singular event in both men’s storied careers—celebrated and, Morton insists, best left unduplicated unless the circumstances meet his specific terms.