Conor Benn signs with Zuffa Boxing as Eddie Hearn calls the move 'a dagger in the heart'
Conor Benn has left Eddie Hearn's Matchroom Boxing to sign with Dana White's Zuffa Boxing, a switch that the promoter described as "a dagger in the heart. " The 29-year-old announced the move while calling for "legacy fights" and "the biggest stages, " setting up fresh questions about his path to a world title.
How Eddie Hearn learned of the split and his immediate reaction
Eddie Hearn said he first learned of the decision in an email from Conor Benn's lawyer and described that moment as the "first dagger in the heart. " Hearn said he blamed himself for not pushing Benn to sign a new contract and that he had "literally died on a hill for him. " After reading the email, Hearn messaged Benn to request a phone call but was refused; Hearn recounted that Benn told him "you'll be very emotional. We'll let it calm down first, " and that refusal convinced him the relationship was gone.
Conor Benn's statement and the reasons he gave for joining Zuffa Boxing
In a social media statement, Conor Benn said he was "filled with excitement and hunger for what's ahead with Zuffa Boxing" and paid tribute to his former promoters, thanking Eddie and "the entire team at Matchroom for everything they have done for me over the past decade. " Benn described Matchroom's role in guiding him when he first turned professional and in headlining stadium shows, and added that they had "stood shoulder to shoulder with me during the tough times. " He also said he wants "the legacy fights, the biggest nights, the biggest stages, " that he is "in my prime, " and that he and Zuffa Boxing have "bold, ambitious plans. "
Recent ring form, weight move and world-title ambitions
Conor Benn beat long-time rival Chris Eubank Jr in a blockbuster rematch at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in November, having lost their first bout in April. After that rematch win at middleweight in November, Benn moved down in weight to pursue his long-term ambition of holding a world title. He has won 24 of his 25 professional bouts and has been confirmed as the mandatory challenger for the WBC welterweight belt. That belt is currently held by Mario Barrios, who will defend it against Ryan Garcia in Las Vegas on February 21; Benn has said he is ready to fight the winner of Barrios against Garcia and has described himself as within "touching distance" of the WBC welterweight title.
Suspension, clearance and Matchroom's support
Benn was originally due to fight Eubank Jr in 2022 but the bout was called off after he failed a voluntary drugs test, twice testing positive for the banned substance Clomifene. Eddie Hearn backed Benn through a two-year suspension after those positive tests; Benn has maintained his innocence and was cleared to fight in the UK again in 2024. After that clearance, Hearn promoted Benn through two stadium fights against Chris Eubank Jr last year and had been positioning him for a world title shot.
Financial backing, fallout with management and the unsettled future
Hearn said he had loaned "hundreds of thousands of pounds" to Benn while the fighter was out of the ring and that he felt he had given a lot when others would not back him. He described the split as "very surprising" and "very painful, " said he had exchanged messages with his former fighter, and has not ruled out working with Benn again in future. Hearn also revealed he "had some very choice words" with Benn's manager, Keith Connolly, and said he had misjudged Benn's character and taken his own loyalty for granted.