Two dead, three wounded in Pawtucket arena shooting; suspect was shipyard employee
Police say a shooting Monday night at a youth hockey game in Pawtucket left two people dead and three others wounded before the alleged shooter took his own life. Investigators have identified the shooter as 56-year-old Robert Dorgan, who also used the name Roberta Esposito, and said he worked at a local shipyard.
Scene at Dennis M. Lynch Arena
State and local law enforcement responded to the Dennis M. Lynch Arena in Pawtucket after the shooting, which unfolded during a youth hockey event. Officers found multiple victims; two adults had been killed and three others were wounded. Police said the suspect died by suicide at the scene.
Officials described the incident as a family dispute. North Providence's mayor identified the two deceased as the alleged shooter’s ex-wife and son. The wounded include the alleged shooter’s former mother- and father-in-law, authorities said. A bystander who intervened was credited with helping to end the attack and limiting further casualties.
Investigators continue to process the arena and interview witnesses. Police warned that the investigation remains active and that additional details will be released as they are verified. Local youth hockey programs temporarily suspended activities at the facility while authorities work at the scene.
Suspect's identity, employment and disputed family history
Police identified the shooter as Robert Dorgan, who also went by the name Roberta Esposito. Officials confirmed the individual was a current employee at a nearby shipyard. The shipyard said it would defer to law enforcement on questions related to the incident and the employee’s status.
Court filings and earlier interactions with law enforcement show the suspect had a history of family conflict tied in part to gender identity and a gender-reassignment surgery. In prior filings, the suspect alleged threats and confrontations involving an in-law dating back several years. The filings also include allegations that a family member assaulted the suspect; that family member was charged with simple assault and battery and disorderly conduct in 2020.
Other court records show a separate in-law faced charges of witness tampering and obstruction of justice linked to that earlier dispute, although those charges were later dropped. Divorce paperwork from the suspect’s estranged spouse initially cited the gender-reassignment surgery but was amended to list irreconcilable differences.
Authorities have not released a motive beyond the description of a family dispute. Prosecutors and police continue to examine the suspect’s background and prior legal interactions as part of the ongoing investigation.
Investigation underway and community impact
Police urged anyone with information or video from the arena to come forward to assist in the investigation. Officials also reminded the public that details could change as work at the scene and interviews continue.
The shooting has reverberated across the tight-knit hockey community and neighboring towns. Local leaders expressed condolences to the victims’ families and praised the quick action of the bystander who intervened. Counseling resources and support services were being mobilized for families and witnesses affected by the violence.
As the inquiry continues, authorities said they will provide updates when there are verified developments and when family notifications are complete.