Three dead, three critically injured after shooting at Pawtucket ice rink during high school hockey game
Shots rang out inside Dennis M. Lynch Arena in Pawtucket, Rhode Island, on Monday afternoon, transforming a holiday high-school hockey game into a scene of deadly violence. Police identified the shooter as Robert Dorgan, who also used the name Roberta Esposito. Three people, including the shooter, were killed and three others were taken to hospital in critical condition. Authorities say the attack appears to have stemmed from a family dispute.
Scene and immediate response
The game, a senior-night matchup between co-op high school teams, had been scheduled to start at 2: 00 p. m. ET and was underway when a string of gunshots echoed through the rink at about 2: 30 p. m. ET. Video of the event shows players and family members ducking and scrambling for exits as the referee stopped play and benches emptied.
Pawtucket police arrived on scene in less than two minutes and recovered firearms from the arena. Chief Tina Goncalves said the shooter was dead at the scene from what appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound; authorities said they would continue a full investigation into the exact circumstances. Officers interviewed roughly 100 witnesses as investigators worked to piece together the sequence of events.
Officials also highlighted the actions of a bystander who intervened to try to subdue the shooter, a move the chief said helped bring a swift end to the attack. The game had been livestreamed, and multiple viewers captured footage that is now part of the probe.
Victims, motive and investigation
Police have not released the names or ages of the victims pending family notifications. One law-enforcement source said a member of the shooter’s family was among those killed. Chief Goncalves characterized the incident as likely driven by a family dispute and called it a targeted event, but stressed that investigators are still gathering evidence and witness statements.
Three people were confirmed dead at the scene, including the shooter, and three others were transported to hospital in critical condition. Authorities have requested additional federal assistance, and agents were sent to the arena to support the local investigation. Officers continue to examine ballistic evidence, witness video, and other material recovered from the scene.
Community reaction and fallout
Officials and residents described the shooting as a devastating blow to a close-knit community. The mayor called the event deeply traumatic for the students, families and neighbors who gathered for what was supposed to be a celebratory night. The state’s governor issued a statement expressing heartbreak for the victims and those affected.
For many, the image of children and parents at a neighborhood rink — a familiar scene in New England towns — made the violence especially jarring. Neighbors recalled the arena as a community staple where families gather to watch young athletes, and said the attack underscored the suddenness with which a public event can turn deadly.
Investigators are urging anyone with relevant video or firsthand information to come forward. Police also warned that families seeking information should rely on official channels for updates as notifications and the investigative process continue.
The investigation remains active. Authorities said details, including the identities of the victims and a final determination of motive, will be released once families have been notified and evidence has been fully reviewed.