Ryan Garcia (ryan garcia) beats Mario Barrios and becomes new WBC welterweight champion

Ryan Garcia (ryan garcia) beats Mario Barrios and becomes new WBC welterweight champion

ryan garcia secured his first major world title with a dominant unanimous decision over Mario Barrios at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas on Saturday. The 27-year-old American knocked down compatriot Barrios inside the first 30 seconds of round one and controlled all 12 rounds, winning on scorecards of 119-108, 120-107 and 118-109.

Fight result and scorecards

Garcia won by unanimous decision after 12 rounds in Las Vegas, with judges scoring the bout 119-108, 120-107 and 118-109. He knocked down Mario Barrios with a right hand during the first 30 seconds of the opening round and remained in control for the full 12 rounds. The victory made Garcia the new WBC welterweight champion and was described as his first major title.

Ryan Garcia's post-fight calls

In his post-fight remarks, Garcia called out Shakur Stevenson, who was in attendance at T-Mobile Arena. He said: "You know who I want, he's right there. Shakur Stevenson, let's go!" Stevenson, 28, smiled, nodded his head and clapped. After being told Stevenson had said he was "levels above" him right now, Garcia replied: "You've got to have some type of punching power to get me off you, because it'll just be a different style - and I'm not going to hit him light. "

Garcia added other comments in the ring, saying: "I fought Devin Haney. I'll fight you, Shakur Stevenson. I'll fight anybody. " He also told the crowd: "You know who I want, he’s right there: Shakur Stevenson. Let’s go, let’s run that s***. I’m not scared of anything. "

Background: bans, injuries and gaps

Garcia was given a one-year ban for failing a drugs test in 2024 after the bout with Devin Haney, with that victory overturned and recorded as a "no contest. " The failed test was for the banned substance ostarine following the no-contest with Haney in April 2024, and the ban lasted a year. After returning, Garcia lost a decision to Rolando Romero in a May fight at Times Square, a defeat that was described as a shock points loss. He said he had sustained a hand injury going into the Romero bout and required surgery afterward, which kept him out another nine months and left him with just one bout in the past 22 months.

Barrios's title history and draws

Mario Barrios had been upgraded from interim to full WBC champion in June 2024. He had made two previous defences that were recorded as draws, including a majority draw against a then 46-year-old Manny Pacquiao last summer and a draw with Abel Ramos in November of that year. Barrios had fought twice since his upgrade and entered the fight having retained his title those draws.

Punch output, style and risks

Previewing the matchup, both fighters were expected to produce a low-output encounter. Garcia's previous fights included a historically low combined punch output with Rolando Romero — the pair recorded a combined 490 punches, the third-lowest for a 12-round fight in CompuBox's 40-year history — and his contest with Devin Haney registered 499 punches, then the third-fewest punches thrown in a 12-round fight. Observers noted both men are tall welterweights who can be hit and hurt, and it was uncertain how Garcia's power would carry to 147 pounds; Barrios was described as not a puncher.

Garcia has been hurt in the body before, most notably when he suffered a seventh-round knockout defeat to Gervonta "Tank" Davis in April 2023. Barrios also faced Davis in 2021 and was taken out in the 11th round of that 140-pound title bout. After the final bell in Las Vegas, Garcia said: "I hurt him multiple times, but like I said, he’s a tough son of a b***h. " He added: "I wanted to show my full arsenal. I believe it was a kind of masterclass, but I should’ve got the finish. But I hurt my right hand. Mario’s a tough warrior, a fellow Mexican-American. "

Reaction, record and wider notes

Garcia, described as a former interim lightweight champion and a precocious 27-year-old, improved his record to 25 victories and two defeats with the win. It was noted that he has sealed 20 of his 25 victories by knockout. After the fight he gave the belt to his father, who is also his head coach, saying: "It feels great, man, but it feels better to be a child of God, to be honest. I dedicate this to my dad, though. " One commentator noted that neither man had had their hand raised in victory in almost two years before this world title fight. There was also mention that Conor Benn's move to Zuffa might soon cost him his WBC mandatory-challenger status.

Ryan Garcia dethroned Mario Barrios to become the new WBC welterweight champion after a first-round knockdown and a lopsided unanimous decision on the judges' cards.