Conor Benn: Eddie Hearn 'devastated' as conor benn leaves Matchroom for Zuffa Boxing

Conor Benn: Eddie Hearn 'devastated' as conor benn leaves Matchroom for Zuffa Boxing

conor benn has split from Eddie Hearn's Matchroom Boxing to sign with Dana White's Zuffa Boxing, ending a decade-long partnership. The 29-year-old said he is seeking "legacy fights" and the "biggest stages" as he moves on from the promoter who supported him through his career.

How Hearn found out

Eddie Hearn said he first learned of Benn's decision when he received an email from the boxer's lawyer, a moment he described as a "dagger in the heart. " Hearn said he messaged Benn to request a phone call, writing, "No disrespect to your lawyer but I think you and I need a call because of everything we've been through, I think I deserve that, " but Benn refused the call. Hearn quoted Benn's response as: "Oh no, you'll be very emotional. We'll let it calm down first. "

Hearn's reaction and comments

Hearn said the development left him "pretty devastated" and called the split "very painful. " He said he "blame[s] myself a little bit in the sense that I didn't push him to sign a new contract" and added, "I literally died on a hill for him. " Hearn said he had "some very choice words" with Benn's manager, Keith Connolly, and that he had exchanged messages with his former fighter after the announcement. He also said he had lent Benn "hundreds of thousands of pounds" while Benn was out of the ring.

Timeline of Benn's recent fights

Benn, the son of former two-weight world champion Nigel, had been with Matchroom since turning professional in 2016. He lost the first meeting with long-time rival Chris Eubank Jr in April, then beat Eubank Jr in a blockbuster rematch at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in November. Those two stadium fights came after Benn was cleared to fight in the UK again in 2024 following a suspension.

Disciplinary history and clearance

In 2022 Benn failed a voluntary drugs test, twice testing positive for the banned substance Clomifene, and served a two-year suspension. Benn has consistently maintained his innocence and was later cleared to return to UK competition in 2024. After that clearance, Hearn promoted Benn through two stadium fights against Chris Eubank Jr and had been positioning him for a world title shot.

Conor Benn's statement

on social media Benn thanked Eddie Hearn and the Matchroom team "for everything they have done for me over the past decade. From guiding me when I first turned pro, to headlining stadium shows. They were not only with me for those highlight moments but stood shoulder to shoulder with me during the tough times. " Benn said he was "filled with excitement and hunger for what's ahead with Zuffa Boxing" and said he wants "the legacy fights, the biggest nights, the biggest stages. " He added: "I fear no man at any weight, and I'm ready to give the fans the fights they've been calling for. I'm in my prime, and together we have bold, ambitious plans. " Benn also wrote that he would "love Eddie to continue to be part of my team and for our partnership to evolve in this new chapter. "

Title ambitions and next opponents

Benn has won 24 of his 25 professional bouts and has been confirmed as the mandatory challenger for the WBC welterweight title. That belt is currently held by Mario Barrios, who will firstly defend the title against Ryan Garcia in Las Vegas on February 21. Benn has said he is ready to fight the winner of Barrios against Garcia and has moved down in weight since his November rematch win at middleweight to pursue his long-term ambition of holding a world title.

Hearn said he felt the loyalty he and his team had shown Benn should have guaranteed a different outcome and that he "made a mistake" in misjudging Benn's character. He reflected that he had backed Benn when "no one believed him, " loaning money while Benn was out of the ring, and said he "shouldn't have done that" but stopped short of ruling out the possibility of working with Benn again in the future.

The split marks the end of a 10-year relationship between Benn and Matchroom, and the boxer — often billed as "The Destroyer" — has said he is aiming for high-profile, legacy-defining fights with Zuffa Boxing under Dana White's promotional banner.

Unclear in the provided context: the precise financial terms of Benn's new deal with Zuffa Boxing, any scheduled dates for his next fight, and whether Matchroom will retain any future role beyond Benn's stated wish for Eddie Hearn to remain part of his team.