Fenerbahçe Stunned 3-0 at Home as Coaches Face Questions After Nottingham Forest Win
Fenerbahçe suffered a shock home defeat, falling 3-0 to Nottingham Forest in the first leg of the UEFA Europa League last 16 play-off. The result leaves Fenerbahçe with work to do ahead of the return tie, and both managers addressed the buildup and aftermath in separate press appearances.
Immediate fallout: match events and availability concerns for Fenerbahçe
Nottingham Forest closed the first half 2-0 up and converted the advantage into a 3-0 victory. The home side saw a key defender exit with injury in the first half; the injured centre back was replaced by Çağlar Söyüncü in the 26th minute. A home player picked up a yellow card in the 69th minute and will be suspended for the return match, and another player also received a late yellow card that rules him out of the second leg. Those absences aggravate Fenerbahçe's challenge ahead of the rematch, which is set for Feb. 26 at 3: 00 PM ET in England.
The match also featured the club's winter signing, a 19-year-old striker who made his first start for Fenerbahçe. That young forward had previously only come on as a substitute in domestic matches but was named in the starting XI for this European fixture. Additionally, an English left-wing player returned to the matchday squad after a long layoff of 66 days due to injury; he had missed a string of official games across league, cup and Europe but was available again for this encounter.
Vitor Pereira: familiar ties and fresh opposition
Nottingham Forest's new manager spoke ahead of the clash, reflecting on his past time at Fenerbahçe and stressing the unique atmosphere expected for the fixture. He acknowledged that he has two separate spells in the country and the city and said he holds positive memories with the club and its supporters. That history makes tomorrow's meeting different for him because this time he will face that club as the opposition. He emphasized that his side is in the Premier League and will bring its own standards and approach to the match.
The Nottingham boss also described his squad as strong and capable, and said he expects an organized, brave display while enjoying the quality on the pitch. He contrasted past experiences at the club with the current competitive environment, noting that the league they face now is not easy and that victories require work. He pointed to Fenerbahçe's investment, experience and ambition as reasons he expects a difficult game for both sides.
Tedesco on tactics and squad tools for the tie
The Fenerbahçe head coach addressed questions about tactical choices and the squad ahead of the return leg. He highlighted that a new manager at the opponent can change dynamics, with previously peripheral players believing they can earn minutes and push boundaries under new leadership. That potential unpredictability has been factored into Fenerbahçe's preparations.
He outlined a focus on players' individual profiles and adaptability between systems, stressing that the team has worked on different patterns and must be ready for either a back four or back three from the opponent. He also singled out the club's recent acquisition — the 19-year-old striker — as a player they convinced to join and who demonstrates high motivation and potential. The coach underlined the need for zero errors and full concentration from the first second if the club is to overturn the deficit in the second leg.
With a three-goal deficit to overturn and suspensions to navigate, Fenerbahçe faces a challenging trip to England where fine margins will decide whether the tie remains open or closes early.