Guns seized after rhode island shooting included AR-15 style rifle and shotgun

Guns seized after rhode island shooting included AR-15 style rifle and shotgun

Police investigators searching properties tied to the man who opened fire during a high school hockey game in Pawtucket said they recovered several firearms, ammunition and other items as the probe into the deadly incident continued. Two people were killed and three others remain hospitalized in critical condition after the attack at Dennis M. Lynch Arena on Monday, Feb. 16, 2026 (ET).

Weapons, locations searched and tracing

Search teams working in coordination with law enforcement partners executed searches at the suspect’s apartment in Bath, Maine, a storage unit in Brunswick, Maine, and a work locker in Bath. Officers seized an AR-15 style rifle and a sawed-off shotgun, along with a handgun frame, ammunition, firearm accessories, personal identification documents and an electronic device. Mail addressed to the suspect was also recovered from the storage unit. Nothing was removed from the work locker.

Investigators said a white van with a Maine license plate found after the shooting provided leads that connected the suspect to properties in Maine. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives traced two handguns that were used inside the arena: a 10 mm Glock 29 purchased in September 2021 and a Sig Sauer P226 purchased in July 2019. At the scene, good Samaritans wrestled a gun away from the shooter, who then produced a second weapon and fatally shot himself.

Officials noted the suspect was carrying a Florida gun permit at the time of his death; whether he held a concealed carry permit in Rhode Island remains unclear. Searches also turned up firearm accessories and ammunition that are being cataloged as evidence while ballistics and trace work continue.

Victims, witnesses and community response

The shooting left the suspect’s ex-wife and an older son dead. Three other people were critically wounded, including the ex-wife’s parents, both in their mid-70s, and a family friend who serves as an assistant principal at a local high school. All three surviving victims remain hospitalized in critical condition.

Police and community leaders singled out bystanders who intervened and medical personnel who provided life-saving care. Several individuals restrained the shooter after gunfire erupted, and retired firefighters, an EMT and a nurse administered immediate first aid. Officials credited those actions with preventing additional casualties and improving the injured victims’ chances of survival.

In the wake of the attack, the regional high school league suspended all games temporarily; play will not resume before Friday. Community members have gathered to support the families of the dead and injured, and one family released a statement expressing hope for recovery and deep sorrow over the losses and trauma experienced by witnesses.

Investigation focus and family background

Investigators described the incident as appearing targeted and linked to a family dispute, though they said a specific motive has not been established. The suspect was known to use other names in the past, and investigators are reviewing social media, communications and the seized electronic device for potential leads.

Law enforcement has also been examining the suspect’s family connections. One adult son was previously convicted in a separate arson attack in 2024 and is serving a federal sentence; court records from that case include extremist language and violent rhetoric. Authorities are probing whether there were any recent contacts between the suspect and that son, and whether ideological influences or long-standing family tensions played a role in the attack.

As forensic work proceeds and interviews continue, investigators emphasized the ongoing nature of the probe and asked anyone with information to come forward. The community remains focused on the recovery of the wounded and on supporting those mourning the slain.