Ryan Garcia beats Mario Barrios to win WBC welterweight title in Las Vegas

Ryan Garcia beats Mario Barrios to win WBC welterweight title in Las Vegas

ryan garcia secured his first major world title on Saturday, knocking down Mario Barrios inside the opening 30 seconds and cruising to a unanimous decision at T‑Mobile Arena in Las Vegas to become the WBC welterweight champion.

Knockdown inside 30 seconds and a lopsided scorecard

The 27‑year‑old American dropped his compatriot with a right hand within the first 30 seconds of the opening round and remained in control across the full 12 rounds, taking the title on scores of 119‑108, 120‑107 and 118‑109. The victory improved Garcia’s record to 25 wins and two defeats and added to a streak of power: 20 of his 25 victories have come by knockout.

Ryan Garcia calls out Shakur Stevenson at ringside

In his post‑fight interview at T‑Mobile Arena, Garcia called out newly crowned WBO super‑lightweight champion Shakur Stevenson, who was in attendance. "You know who I want, he's right there, " Garcia said, adding, "Shakur Stevenson, let's go!" Stevenson, 28, smiled, nodded and clapped as Garcia continued: "I want to be a great champion, I'm not scared. I fought Devin Haney. I'll fight you, Shakur Stevenson. I'll fight anybody. " When told Stevenson had said he was "levels above" him, Garcia replied: "You've got to have some type of punching power to get me off you, because it'll just be a different style - and I'm not going to hit him light. " Independent post‑fight remarks also noted Garcia dedicated the win to his father, who is his head coach, handed him the belt and said he had hurt his right hand during the fight.

Troubled recent years: ban, surgery and low‑output history

Garcia’s road to the WBC strap had been marked by setbacks. He was given a one‑year ban after failing a drugs test in 2024 following his fight with Devin Haney; that victory was overturned and recorded as a no contest. He returned to challenge Rolando Romero this past May at Times Square and lost a decision, a defeat described as a shock the previous year, and said afterward that he went into the Romero fight with a hand injury that required surgery and kept him out for nine months. That sequence left him with just one bout in the previous 22 months. Statistical context from earlier fights shows extremely low punch outputs: Garcia’s bout with Romero produced a combined 490 punches — the third‑lowest for a 12‑round fight in CompuBox’s 40‑year history — and his fight with Haney recorded 499 punches, then the third‑fewest punches thrown in a 12‑round fight.

Barrios’ championship run and pre‑fight form

Mario Barrios had been upgraded from interim to full WBC champion in June 2024 and entered the fight having retained the title through two draws. He drew with Abel Ramos and drew with Manny Pacquiao in recent defenses; one account described Pacquiao as a then 46‑year‑old in the summer draw, while another described Pacquiao as 47 — unclear in the provided context. Barrios’ earlier history includes an 11th‑round defeat to Gervonta Davis in 2021 at 140 pounds.

Pre‑fight assessments and style questions that met the moment

Predictors ahead of the bout had flagged this matchup as likely low‑output and fought at range: both men were described as tall welterweights who would use jabs and keep the fight long. Analysts noted Barrios’ body work and jab as keys to his success, called Barrios "not a puncher" and "slow, " and said those traits gave Garcia an advantage in hand speed. Observers had urged Garcia to set up power behind feints and jabs and pointed out his lightning‑quick left hook as his money punch; they also noted he had not used his right hand much in the Romero fight. Prior physical trouble for Garcia was also cited: he had been stopped by Gervonta Davis in the seventh round in April 2023, having been hurt to the body in earlier bouts.

What happens next is unclear in the provided context.