Conor Benn leaves Matchroom to sign with Zuffa Boxing

Conor Benn leaves Matchroom to sign with Zuffa Boxing

conor benn has split from Eddie Hearn's Matchroom Boxing after a 10-year partnership to sign with Dana White's Zuffa Boxing, a move that has left Hearn describing the news as a "dagger in the heart. " The 29-year-old announced the change on Friday and said he is seeking "legacy fights" and "the biggest stages. "

Conor Benn exits Matchroom

Benn, who joined Eddie Hearn's Matchroom Boxing in 2016 and had been with the promoter since turning professional, paid tribute to his former team in a social-media statement. He wrote: "First and foremost I want to thank Eddie and the entire team at Matchroom for everything they have done for me over the past decade. From guiding me when I first turned pro, to headlining stadium shows. They were not only with me for those highlight moments but stood shoulder to shoulder with me during the tough times. "

Zuffa Boxing deal and statement

In announcing the switch to Dana White's Zuffa Boxing, Benn said he was "filled with excitement and hunger for what's ahead with Zuffa Boxing" and added: "I'd love Eddie to continue to be part of my team and for our partnership to evolve in this new chapter. " He said he wants "the legacy fights, the biggest nights, the biggest stages. I fear no man at any weight, and I'm ready to give the fans the fights they've been calling for. I'm in my prime, and together we have bold, ambitious plans. "

Eddie Hearn's reaction and loan

Eddie Hearn said he first learned of the move when he received an email from Benn's lawyer and told the 5 Live Boxing with Steve Bunce podcast: "I got an email from Conor's lawyer and that was the first dagger in the heart. " Hearn said he messaged Benn asking for a phone call — "No disrespect to your lawyer but I think you and I need a call because of everything we've been through, I think I deserve that" — but that Benn refused, saying: "Oh no, you'll be very emotional. We'll let it calm down first. " Hearn said that refusal was "an even bigger blow" and that "by that point, you know you've lost the relationship and the fighter anyway. "

Hearn also said he had backed Benn through a two-year suspension, had loaned him "hundreds of thousands of pounds" while he was out of the ring, and that he "literally died on a hill for him. " He said he felt he had "made a mistake" in trusting Benn and that he had "some very choice words" with Benn's manager, Keith Connolly. Hearn added that he has since exchanged messages with his former fighter and has not ruled out working with him again, while describing the episode as "very surprising" and "very painful. "

Testing, suspension and clearance

Benn's fighting timeline was outlined in the statements surrounding the split. He and Chris Eubank Jr were originally set to fight in 2022 but that bout was called off when Benn failed a voluntary drugs test, twice testing positive for the banned substance Clomifene. Benn has maintained his innocence. He was given a two-year suspension and was later cleared to fight in the UK again in 2024. After his clearance, Hearn promoted Benn through two stadium fights against Chris Eubank Jr last year.

Record, weight and title ambitions

The 29-year-old has won 24 of his 25 professional bouts. Benn beat long-time rival Chris Eubank Jr in a blockbuster rematch at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in November, having lost their first bout in April. After that rematch win at middleweight in November, Benn moved down in weight to pursue his long-term ambition of holding a world title. He has been confirmed as the mandatory challenger for the WBC welterweight belt, which is held by Mario Barrios. Barrios is scheduled to defend the title first against Ryan Garcia in Las Vegas on February 21, and Benn said he is ready to fight the winner of that contest. Benn has described himself as being within "touching distance" of the WBC title.

Benn is the son of former two-weight world champion Nigel. The full sequence of events — voluntary test failures in 2022, the two-year suspension, clearance in 2024, two stadium fights against Chris Eubank Jr last year, and the move to Zuffa Boxing announced on Friday — underpins the split between Benn and Matchroom Boxing and the emotional reaction from Eddie Hearn.

Unclear in the provided context: whether Eddie Hearn or Matchroom will have any formal role in Benn's promotional future beyond the statements of mutual appreciation and Benn's wish that Hearn remain involved.

Closing paragraph: The move closes a 10-year partnership between Benn and Matchroom Boxing and opens a new phase with Zuffa Boxing, with Benn publicly seeking big "legacy fights" and Hearn left to process what he called a painful and surprising break.