League Down: league down incident halts Benfica tie, deepens abuse record
League Down surfaced again in a Champions League first-leg at Benfica when play was stopped for around 10 minutes after Real Madrid forward Vinícius Jr. said he had been racially insulted following a goal celebration. The match resumed after the referee activated the anti‑racism protocol, and UEFA announced an investigation into the allegation.
League Down — league down halts Lisbon match
The incident unfolded early in the second half when the 25‑year‑old scored and celebrated near the corner flag, then engaged in a verbal exchange with Benfica players, including Gianluca Prestianni. Prestianni covered his mouth with his shirt while speaking; Vinícius Jr. told the referee he had been racially insulted. The referee triggered the anti‑racism protocol and the game was paused for about 10 minutes while the forward left the pitch and sat on the bench. He and his team‑mates later returned and play continued to a full‑time whistle.
La Liga's tally of incidents
La Liga has recorded 26 instances of racist abuse directed at Vinícius Jr. at 10 different grounds in Spain since October 2021. Examples cited in that tally include sustained racist chants at a league game in September 2022, a mannequin dressed to resemble Vinícius Jr. being hanged from a bridge near Real Madrid’s training ground in January, and a confrontation with home fans during a May 2023 visit to Valencia’s stadium. In a separate recent Copa del Rey visit, a banana was thrown at the player during a match at a second‑tier club. Legal outcomes from past episodes have included convictions for a small number of supporters and suspended sentences for some individuals tied to the mannequin incident.
Investigation, reactions and what comes next
Reactions after the Lisbon clash were sharply divided. Benfica later described a "defamation campaign" directed at a 20‑year‑old Argentina international involved in the exchange; that player has denied the allegation. An ex‑manager at Benfica publicly suggested the forward had provoked the incident. UEFA has opened a formal inquiry into the allegation, and the teams are scheduled to meet again in a second leg at the Bernabéu on Wednesday. Details of the alleged language used in Lisbon are not publicly confirmed, and the investigation may determine what disciplinary steps follow.
Key takeaways:
- Play was halted for about 10 minutes after a racial‑abuse allegation during the first leg in Lisbon.
- La Liga has logged 26 separate incidents targeting the same player since October 2021.
- UEFA has opened an investigation; the return leg is scheduled for Wednesday at the Bernabéu.
Analysts will watch the UEFA inquiry and the second‑leg match closely for both sporting and disciplinary consequences. If the investigation produces evidence that leads to sanctions, those measures could affect availability and club action ahead of the return fixture. Until formal findings are released, several factual elements of the Lisbon exchange remain unclear.