Police identify suspect in deadly shooting at Pawtucket ice rink

Police identify suspect in deadly shooting at Pawtucket ice rink

Three people, including the suspected shooter, were killed and three others were critically injured when shots were fired during a high school hockey game at the Dennis M. Lynch Arena in Pawtucket on Monday afternoon. Police identified the suspect as Robert Dorgan, who also used the name Roberta Esposito. Authorities say the violence appears to have stemmed from a family dispute.

Shooting disrupts high-school hockey game

The incident occurred at around 2: 30 p. m. ET on Monday while two co-op high school teams were playing a scheduled game. Witness video and livestream footage captured the moment gunfire erupted inside the arena, sending players, parents and spectators scrambling for cover. Police stated they arrived at the scene in less than two minutes after receiving the initial call.

the suspected shooter died at the scene from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound; investigators are continuing a full inquiry into the circumstances of the death. Two other people were pronounced dead at the scene, and three were taken to area hospitals in critical condition.

Investigators recovered firearms at the arena. Chief Tina Goncalves of the Pawtucket Police Department described the event as a targeted incident that appears to have its roots in a family dispute. She said officers had interviewed roughly 100 witnesses by Monday night as they worked to piece together the timeline and motive.

Investigation, victims and community response

Authorities confirmed that one of those killed was the suspect’s son. Police stressed the need to notify families before releasing victims’ names publicly. Chief Goncalves also highlighted the actions of a bystander who intervened and attempted to subdue the suspect, calling the person’s response a factor in bringing the episode to a swift end.

Local leaders described the scene as devastating for the close-knit community. The mayor characterized the outcome as very tragic, noting the game was a family-oriented event for high school seniors and their supporters. The governor said the shooting was heartbreaking for victims, students and families affected by the violence.

Investigators are collecting video evidence and witness statements. Because the game had been livestreamed, multiple recordings have been obtained and are now part of the active investigation. The police emphasized this will be a comprehensive probe involving interviews and forensic work to determine the exact sequence of events and any broader context for the attack.

Officials asked anyone who witnessed the shooting or who may have relevant footage to come forward to assist investigators. The department reiterated that the community’s safety and the integrity of the investigation remain top priorities as authorities work to provide answers to grieving families and the public.

As the investigation continues, schools, parents and local youth organizations are expected to hold counseling and support services for students and families affected by the shooting. Authorities said they will release additional details when family notifications are complete and as the inquiry allows.