Cain Velasquez Released From Soledad Prison After Serving Sentence in 2022 Shooting Case

Cain Velasquez Released From Soledad Prison After Serving Sentence in 2022 Shooting Case

Former UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez has been released from a California prison after serving the sentence handed down for his role in a 2022 shooting during a high-speed car chase. The state corrections agency says Velasquez completed the sentence as defined by law, including time already served and credit-earning opportunities while incarcerated.

Sentence, time served and immediate status

The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation confirmed that Velasquez was released from a prison in Soledad on Sunday. He had been sentenced in 2025 to five years in prison for attempted murder; that term factored in roughly three years of time he had already served while awaiting sentencing. Prison officials noted he was eligible for credit-earning programs while incarcerated and that he had served the full sentence under state law.

Velasquez’s defense attorney, Renee Hessling, has said that he is not available for comment at this time. During his March 2025 sentencing hearing, Velasquez told the judge he accepted whatever sentence the court deemed appropriate, characterized his conduct as reckless and dangerous, and expressed remorse.

The 2022 chase and shooting that led to charges

The case traces back to February 2022, when Velasquez allegedly fired at a vehicle during an 11-mile high-speed pursuit in Morgan Hill. The man he pursued, Harry Goularte, had been accused of molesting Velasquez’s 4-year-old son while the child was at a daycare. Goularte’s mother, who operates the daycare, and his stepfather were passengers in the car during the chase; the stepfather was struck by gunfire and wounded.

Goularte faced felony charges in connection with the molestation allegations and entered a not guilty plea in that separate matter. Court records show that the molestation case remained pending, with a trial-setting hearing scheduled for April 15.

Aftermath and legal landscape

Velasquez’s release closes the portion of the matter that resulted in the attempted murder conviction and prison time, but it does not resolve the related allegations tied to the underlying molestation accusation. The victim’s case continues to move through the courts, with key dates still on the calendar.

The case drew intense public attention because of Velasquez’s high profile in mixed martial arts and his history as a former heavyweight champion. Legal analysts say the outcome highlights how state sentencing calculations—time served, program credits and statutory definitions of a completed term—can significantly shorten the period a defendant spends behind bars after conviction.

Velasquez’s legal team has not announced plans for further comment or whether any post-release legal steps will be pursued. As of now, he is free following the completion of the sentence imposed for the attempted murder conviction.