Mayor: One Victim in Pawtucket Ice Rink Shooting Was Suspect’s Son; Shooter Identified

Mayor: One Victim in Pawtucket Ice Rink Shooting Was Suspect’s Son; Shooter Identified

Authorities identified the shooter in the deadly Pawtucket ice rink shooting as Robert Dorgan after a shooting at the Dennis M. Lynch Arena on Feb. 16, 2026 (ET). North Providence Mayor Charles Lombardi confirmed on the radio that one of the people killed was the suspect’s younger son and said the family had not drawn concern from local police before the incident.

Shooter identified; victim relationship confirmed

Police named Robert Dorgan as the person who fired on patrons at the arena on Monday, an attack that left multiple people dead. Mayor Lombardi told a radio host that one of those killed was the suspect’s younger son. He also said he had met the suspect’s older son, who had been playing hockey at the arena earlier on Monday, and described that older son as "a perfect gentleman. " The mayor noted he did not personally interact with the suspect and said the family had not raised any flags with the North Providence Police Department prior to the shooting.

Investigators continue to piece together a timeline of events from the arena in Pawtucket, and law enforcement officials have been working at the scene and interviewing witnesses. Authorities have not yet released a motive for the attack and have not provided a public account of the exact number of victims at this time.

Investigation underway and community response

Local and state law enforcement agencies remain engaged in a multiagency investigation, securing evidence and conducting interviews with those present at the rink. Officials have said the scene required careful processing due to the number of people present and the chaotic aftermath of the shooting.

The rink, a community sports facility, drew youth hockey players and their families on Monday, and the fact that a child was among the dead has unsettled residents across the region. City leaders and first responders have emphasized outreach to grieving families and offered counseling resources to those affected. Mayor Lombardi expressed sorrow for the victims and their families and urged the community to allow investigators to complete their work.

Authorities have asked anyone with relevant information or video from the arena to make it available to investigators. Officials have not yet released further details about the suspect’s background or potential motives, citing the ongoing nature of the inquiry.

What’s next

Investigators are expected to deliver updates as forensic work and interviews progress. Law enforcement agencies typically review surveillance footage, phone records and witness statements in cases like this to establish precise timelines and any connections among those involved. Prosecutors will decide on charges once investigators have compiled evidence and consulted with legal partners.

Meanwhile, community leaders are organizing support for families affected by the shooting and planning memorials. Public officials have warned that it may take time to assemble a full account of what led to the attack and to confirm the total number of victims and the sequence of events inside the arena on Feb. 16, 2026 (ET).

Filmogaz will continue to monitor the investigation and provide updates as officials release more information.