Three dead, three hospitalized after shooting at Pawtucket ice rink during high school hockey game
PAWTUCKET, R. I. — A shooting during a high school hockey game Monday at the Dennis M. Lynch Arena left three people dead — including the suspected shooter — and three others critically injured, authorities said. The incident unfolded at about 2: 30 p. m. ET and sent parents, players and spectators scrambling for safety in one of the region's most shocking acts of violence at a youth sporting event.
Scene, response and casualties
Pawtucket police said officers arrived on scene in less than two minutes after receiving the call around 2: 30 p. m. ET. Three victims were killed at the arena, and three additional people were taken to area hospitals in critical condition. Law enforcement firearms were recovered at the scene.
Pawtucket Police Chief Tina Goncalves identified the suspected shooter as Robert Dorgan, who also uses the name Roberta Esposito. the suspect was found dead of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound; police emphasized investigators will conduct a full inquiry into the circumstances surrounding that death. The police said they were not involved in the suspect's death.
Goncalves praised a Good Samaritan who intervened during the attack and helped bring the violent episode to a swift end. Several witnesses fled the stands, and some players on the ice scrambled to safety; none of the on-ice players were injured, police said.
Investigation and possible motive
Investigators have treated the shooting as targeted and believe it stemmed from a family dispute. Chief Goncalves said officers have interviewed roughly 100 witnesses as of Monday night and are still gathering information. "It appears that this was a targeted event, that it may be a family dispute, " she said. She added that officials would withhold the names of the victims until family notifications are complete.
Officials also indicated the suspected shooter had a personal connection to one of the players at the game. Investigators said the alleged shooter was the father of a North Providence senior who was participating in the matchup. The game was being livestreamed for fans at home, and several recordings from viewers have become part of the investigative evidence; multiple gunshots can be heard on those clips as spectators and players react.
Police recovered the firearms used and are conducting interviews and forensic work at the arena. Authorities said they will continue to piece together the timeline, motives and the suspect's movements before and during the attack.
Community reaction and next steps
The shooting left families and the local sports community reeling. Parents who rushed to the arena described chaotic scenes as they sought loved ones and tried to confirm who had been hurt. School officials and local leaders were expected to offer counseling and support services to students, families and first responders affected by the violence.
Pawtucket police urged anyone with information, images or video related to the incident to share it with investigators to aid the probe. Authorities reiterated that the priority remains confirming the identities of the victims and notifying next of kin before public release of names.
As the investigation continues, municipal officials and school administrators will weigh additional security measures at youth sporting events and community facilities. Police said they will provide updates as they are able, given the ongoing nature of the inquiry and the need to respect victims' families.