Shooting at Rhode Island Ice Rink Leaves Two Dead, Three Wounded

Shooting at Rhode Island Ice Rink Leaves Two Dead, Three Wounded

Two people were killed and three others wounded Monday evening at an indoor ice rink in Pawtucket, Rhode Island,. The shooting at the Dennis M. Lynch Arena occurred during a youth hockey event on Monday, February 16, 2026 (ET). Police said the suspect was found dead at the scene and investigators have opened a criminal probe.

What happened

Leaders on the scene said shots were fired inside the Dennis M. Lynch Arena while a youth hockey game was underway. Emergency responders were dispatched to the facility and found multiple victims. Two people were pronounced dead and three were taken to area hospitals with injuries described as serious but stable.

Authorities also located the suspected shooter dead at the scene. No names or ages have been released, and investigators have not yet disclosed a motive. The arena was quickly evacuated and the surrounding area was sealed off while law enforcement processed the scene.

Nearby businesses felt the immediate impact. An employee at a pharmacy close to the rink said patrons burst into the store in a state of panic, prompting staff to close and evacuate the building. Residents and families who had been at the event described chaotic scenes as people fled the facility.

Official response and the investigation

Local police units and investigators worked through the night collecting evidence and interviewing witnesses. Authorities urged anyone who was at the arena or who may have relevant video to make contact with investigators. Forensics teams were seen carrying equipment into the cordoned-off property as officers canvassed the neighborhood.

Medical crews from nearby hospitals responded to receive and treat the injured. at least three victims were transported to local trauma centers; their conditions were being managed and family notifications were underway. Law enforcement emphasized that the situation posed an immediate public safety hazard while the scene remained active.

At this stage, investigators have not released details about a potential motive, whether the suspected shooter had ties to the victims or the venue, or whether additional suspects are involved. Federal assistance was not confirmed, and detectives said the probe is ongoing and fluid as they piece together the timeline leading up to the shooting.

Community reaction and next steps

The incident has shaken the local community, particularly families involved in youth sports programs that use the arena. Organizers and local leaders expressed shock and sorrow, calling for calm as they await fuller details from law enforcement. The arena is expected to remain closed while investigators complete their work and authorities determine when it will be safe to resume activities.

Officials encouraged anyone with information to contact law enforcement. In the coming days, police plan to release more information as they verify identities and notify next of kin. Community resources and counseling services are typically offered after events of this scale, and local leaders said they will coordinate support for those affected.

This story is developing. Filmogaz will provide updates as officials release new information and investigators make further findings.