Board of Peace Pledges $5 Billion to Rebuild Gaza, Says Trump

Board of Peace Pledges $5 Billion to Rebuild Gaza, Says Trump

President Donald Trump announced that his newly formed Board of Peace has pledged $5 billion for the reconstruction of Gaza. This commitment aims to assist in rebuilding the war-torn area following the extensive destruction caused by over two years of conflict.

Key Details of the $5 Billion Pledge

The announcement comes as the Board of Peace prepares for its inaugural meeting in Washington on Thursday. Trump expressed confidence in the board’s significance, stating, “The Board of Peace will prove to be the most consequential International Body in History.” While specifics regarding contributing member nations were not disclosed, this initiative is expected to encompass an international stabilization and police force for Gaza.

International Contributions and Military Assistance

  • Indonesia is preparing to deploy up to 8,000 troops to Gaza by the end of June.
  • This is the first confirmed military commitment towards a humanitarian mission in the region.

The total cost of rebuilding Gaza is projected to be around $70 billion, according to estimates from the United Nations, World Bank, and European Union. Many areas within Gaza have suffered devastating effects from ongoing airstrikes.

Security Measures and Ceasefire Agreement

The ceasefire agreement, brokered by the U.S. on October 10, outlined the need for an international force to maintain order and disarm Hamas, a condition set forth by Israel. However, interest from other countries in participating in this proposed force has been limited so far.

Meeting Venue and Implications

Trump confirmed that the upcoming meeting will take place at the U.S. Institute of Peace. This venue has been under scrutiny following legal actions from previous staff due to a controversial takeover by the Trump administration.

As the Board of Peace convenes, it remains uncertain how many of its over 20 members will attend the meeting. Notably, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is not expected to participate.

This initiative appears to extend beyond Gaza, reflecting Trump’s ambitions to reshape global governance and address broader international challenges, potentially sidelining traditional institutions like the United Nations.